Filtration question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtration question

I am going to be setting up a FO saltwater 10 gallon tank. I have one of these just laying around and wanted to know if I could use this as my filter. I won't be doing a skimmer on this tank and it will need to have low flow so won't be adding any powerheads.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ladeia3; 03-02-2016, 05:02 PM.

Looks fine to me. Need an air pump to drive it.
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

I have the air pump as well. I just don't see anyone with saltwater tanks using these so wasn't sure if there was an issue with this type of filter for saltwater or if everyone just preferred other kinds so wanted to ask before I did something stupid. Thanks

Comment

You can use it I suppose. It might be a pain cleaning the filter compared to other filters out. May get a lot of micro bubbles in the tank which isn't harmful from my understanding but it annoys some people.

Comment

Originally posted by Crush View Post
          You can use it I suppose. It might be a pain cleaning the filter compared to other filters out. May get a lot of micro bubbles in the tank which isn't harmful from my understanding but it annoys some people.
          It will be for dwarf seahorses. Will those bubbles be a problem for them? I've seen sponge filters used for them so I'm assuming it won't be but it is always good to double check.

Comment

Iv never raised seahorses so I cant say but I think iv seen that too.

Comment

Live rock should be all the filtration you need. I would just put a little hob refugium with chaeto and more rock for that little flow you need

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
                Live rock should be all the filtration you need. I would just put a little hob refugium with chaeto and more rock for that little flow you need
                I went ahead and used the HOB aqueon filter I have on my 29 gallon. Right now it just has the cartridge and a bag of carbon pellets. I have some dry rock coming in on Monday and will add that but the live rock I have I don't want to use in case there are hydroids on there. I will have quite a bit of macro algae in the tank so won't need more in the HOB.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X