Breeding Celestial Pearl Danios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding Celestial Pearl Danios

So I set up a planted 10 gallon and added 4 cpds to it about a month ago. The tank is unheated and gets a 20% waterchange with slightly cooler water once a week. Filtration is provided by a aquaclear 30 with a sponge pre-filter. Yesterday I found 1 egg and looked around and found a few more. I think the spawning may have been triggered by the slightly warmer weather we are having this week.
    In any case, I have removed all the eggs I found to a Tupper ware container that I am floating in the tank. I have added a sprig of hornwort and some moss to it so that the fry have something to eat when they hatch if I am not there. Will keep you guys updated as to how things progress. I am adding around 8 more adults this week to boost my numbers

Here is a pic of one of the eggs, they're tiny!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally have some fry! Bottom pic is what I am currently feeding them... crushed up egg yolk

Comment

Awesome!

Keep us posted on the progress.

Mike

Comment

So the fry are now 1 week old, and I am pretty certain that I only have 3. I have been feeding them crushed up egg yolk in water with some selcon added for extra nutrition. I am setting up a brine shrimp hatchery as they are just starting to reach a good size

Comment

You might want to try microworms as well. That is what I use for betta fry.

Comment

Yeah I looked into setting up a culture, but unfortunately I lost all my adult fish so this is going to be a one off hatch. So I don't really want to invest any more $$ into it at this point. Got some brine shrimp eggs for free and the fry are starting to hit a size where they should take that.

Comment

How did you lose the adults?
                Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mredman View Post
                  How did you lose the adults?
                  Mike
                  Only had 4 adults and wanted to boost my numbers to increase my chances of breeding. Ordered around 8 more adult fish in a group buy and they brought in some kind of bug which wiped out everything :/ At least they left me a few fry

Comment

Did you set the tank up for breeding the CPD's specifically? I got my reverse trio to produce last year and ended up with 11 fry. I've been trying to get them to breed again and have not had any success. Yet. Did you have any other tank mates in with them, snails, shrimp or fish? or just those 4 adults?

Michelle
                    Guppies:
                    Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
                    Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
                    HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Fancyfish View Post
                      Did you set the tank up for breeding the CPD's specifically? I got my reverse trio to produce last year and ended up with 11 fry. I've been trying to get them to breed again and have not had any success. Yet. Did you have any other tank mates in with them, snails, shrimp or fish? or just those 4 adults?

Michelle
                      I set it up with the intention of breeding them and I was planning on moving any eggs that I found to a separate container. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to be found as they were very good at eating them. Yes, only 4 adults were in there 2 male 2 female as well as plenty of snails for clean up and algae control, no shrimp. Tank is heavily planted with a power filter (with a sponge on the intake.) If I were to do it again, I would just use the tank transfer method. The fry were much easier to feed than I expected for how small they were

Comment

Working...
                      X