20L setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just a little update
    iv gotten calcium a little more stable since, still don't know what I did or why it happened. we added a few more inhabitants to the tank, we now have a cleaner shrimp and a diamond goby along with a few new corals and a maxima clam. all the coral are doing fantastic, some are growing and some are spreading out. the brain coral has grown another lobe, it was already starting to form when I got it but it filled out the past few weeks. I added gfo to the tank, just to see how that does. well on with the pics I guess

Comment

we have recently gotten a hair algae outbreak since going to gfo, I thought gfo would be the best phosphate remover but I suppose not. well atleast the gfo I got wasn't the greatest. I swapped back to phoseguard and am dosing peroxide, doesn't seem to be getting worse. I think the frogspawn is trying to split, it looks like its got two mouths now. been getting some reasonable growth from the coral

Comment

nice
        Last edited by Dr Who; 03-11-2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Thinking of adding a 10 gallon refugium for a couple of reasons, one is to have something to do with this 10gallon tank that's sitting idle and another is to maybe keep perameters slightly more stable especially phosphates. I'll do something fairly simple like 3 chambers, one for a filter sock-heater-and little extra room for a future skimmer, second for cheato-sand-rubble, third for pump-uv and floss. Any suggestions?

Comment

I went ahead and did it. I put together a few things from homedepot and made the refugium. I was going to make the chambers out of acrylic but tried my hand at glass cutting instead. It took a little practice but all in all it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, I figured I would at least break one panel of glass but not even that happened. I still used acrylic for the top cover and as a sorta skimmer to keep the macro algae in its chamber. I did a little testing on it but I added a couple things to it so I need to let it all dry and retest it. I used a homedepot bucket as a tank "stand in" to test and to flush the system. Ill get some pics up this weekend hopefully

Comment

Refugium is set up and running, I may be happy about that but non of the inhabitants of the display are. Everything except for the fish and inverts are having a tough time adjusting. I'm hoping it's cause of the change in perameters and not some chemical residue that was on the pieces to make this thing. To be safe I'm running a little extra carbon and hope everything bounces back. We will see. Took a trip to that aquarium place and picked up a handful of lr rubble and cheato. Got a couple of interesting hitchhikers, one might be an anemone and the others are a pair of tiny sea stars. Sea stars look to be maybe sand sifting stars but not sure. I added a bottle of tiger pods to the refugium as well, hope they do ok in there.

Comment

Well it's 2am and I can't sleep so why not post..lol. Well I tore the sump down cause I was afraid of loosing the coral and live stock. We lost the cleaner shrimp and the coral banded shrimp. After tearing down I found the filter floss saturated with carbon dust and the foam filter aswell on the ac50. I'm thinking the extra carbon was tumbling around too much and essentially poisoning everything in the tank. If that's the case it would be an easy fix but to be safe I just ditched the sump for the time being. Not long after though everything bounced back with a vengeance. Hammer, frog spawn, and torch coral have split. Zoa are starting to grow onto the live rock and purple coralline algae is starting to come in but so is the hair algae. I'm giving it a good fight but I don't know how long before it over runs the tank. Iv adjusted my feeding habits but havnt adjusted the lights. I kept the cheato in the ac50 for now but I think I may chuck it and go back to phosguard. I'll try to get pics up some time.

Comment

I know iv been saying it but now I have pics uploaded.

Comment

I know iv been saying it but now I have pics uploaded.

Comment

Working...
                    X