Amphipods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amphipods

Seems they are taking over my 10 gal planted shrimp tank! Possibly came from plants I put in, out of my pond. I really don't like them in my shrimp tank! Do I have to break it down to get rid of them?

Just stop feeding the tank. No food at all for a few day. They should die off.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Not feeding the tank for a few days will cause the population to substantially drop but I don't believe it will completely eradicate the population. A few tetras or a dwarf corydoras may be the answer. However, they may also eat baby shrimp.

I remember having a population explosion of hydras one time that came from plants in a pond. I added copper and wiped out the population in one day. However, this is NOT the answer for a tank with shrimp.

Incidentally, copepods are a plus in marine tanks and are a necessity to keep mandarins alive. Almost any live rock will contain ample amounts of copepods. The majority of both marine and freshwater copepods are harmless to fish (but not all).

Mike

Comment

Are they supposed to be marine animal?
        010G Long fin BN grow-out
        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
        020G Leulepi grow-out
        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
        030G Leulepi breeder
        030G SRD FlowerHorn
        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
        090G Tangs community
        100G Tangs community
        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

There are both marine and freshwater amphipods. In marine aquariums, they are desirable because fish love to feed on them. Live rock allows the amphipods to reproduce and continue to feed marine fish that feed on them.

Freshwater species are different. They are quickly consumed in aquariums with fish but without predators, amphipods can get out of control in freshwater tanks.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X