Potassium deficiency and dosing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potassium deficiency and dosing

Do you measure potassium? It is one of the most common nutrient deficiencies. If you have brownish/yellow edges on your leaves with small pinholes, it is most likely a potassium deficiency.

I purchased a potassium test kit from Aquarium Landscapes (about $30). Prior to fertilizer dosing, my potassium level was 0 (and I had the classic symptoms). After dosing fertilizer for 10 days, I measured the potassium again. The potassium level is greater than 3ppm. More important, the new leaves are no longer showing a potassium deficiency.

Unfortunately, the two reference standards included in the kit are 1 and 3 ppm. However, potassium is relatively non-toxic to both plants and fish. Some experts publish that 10-30 ppm is ideal. Motte makes a kit that will measure much higher levels than the Aquarium Landscape product. Some hobbyists state they just keep adding more potassium until their plants show no deficiency and do not test.

Tell us your experience with this important plant nutrient.

Mike

I'm not a big plant guy but I do have some. I am a low tec. keeper. I only use root tabs. recently I switched from API to flourish. My plant don't look as green.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Working...
    X