Thinking about updating HFB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imagirlgeek View Post
    That's been in the back of my mind for a while. We are current as far as the dot versions go for v.4, but we'd be upgrading to v.5. And v.5 has been out long enough now that the major bugs 'should' be worked out.

I just wanted to make sure there was interest before doing it because there is a cost associated with the upgrade license. No point in spending the money if no one was really into it.
    How much does it cost? Just curious. I'm thinking we can all pitch in to help.
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

That's a good idea. Get a collection from everybody that can help out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can always donate to the box, persons who have done so have HFB Donor under the username. Just click on the green Donate button on the menu at the top and every bit helps
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Ok I'll go look now. I'm on tapatalk so maybe I need to go to site?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
            How much does it cost? Just curious. I'm thinking we can all pitch in to help.
            The upgrade license is $209. I'm thinking about looking into adding some ads to the site. But I really hate other sites where you have all the flashing, blinking, popping up in your face, ads...so I won't be doing that here. But if I can find a subtle way to use ads to offset the cost a bit, I'll do it.
            Our Fishhouse
            Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Okay. I'll look into the donation when I get home later. Thanks.
              010G Long fin BN grow-out
              020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              040G Hongi Sweden breeder
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community
              150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

What do you plan to upgrade to ? The only forum software that i recommend is Xenforo, I use that one now, and have tried them all.

If a site Admin here would like to play with mine, let me know.. I will give you access.

Comment

Originally posted by JIM View Post
                  What do you plan to upgrade to ? The only forum software that i recommend is Xenforo, I use that one now, and have tried them all.

If a site Admin here would like to play with mine, let me know.. I will give you access.
                  Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. I was going to just go with the next version of vBulletin since that's what we currently use. I'll do some research into Xenforo...I have to be able to migrate our current forum, so I'll read up and see if Xenforo has that capability. Looks like Xenforo has a demo I can play with too!
                  Our Fishhouse
                  Sleep: A completely inadequate substitute for caffeine.

Comment

Next step in VB =

This site is already Version 4.2.2 the next step is 4.2.3 which is really no different, so unless you go to V5 there is really nowhere else to go in VB, ive never used that one, but a lot of folks at the https://theadminzone.com/
                    dont seem too crazy about that one.

Here is the demo's i found.

Here is the links to some popular forum platforms demo sites. VB4 Online Demo: http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb4-trial/ VB5 Online Demo: http://www.vbulletin.com/en/vb5-trial/ XenForo Demo: https://xenforo.com/demo/ WoltLab Demo: https://www.woltlab.com/demo/ IPB Demo...

Comment

If you just wanna do a facelift, here is another option

I like their Seamus Light series. here is that demo, you can see all the different colors using the drop down at the bottom.

Easy to install, cheaper that an entire upgrade, and no worries about transferring files.
                      New fancy look, no hustle, no bustle, just a thought

Note: The Seamus Light skin will work with the version of VB you have now but not with the 4.2.3 upgrade which as i said has really no improvements that i could see. I also own VB, i just started using xenforo to break the boredom, I liked VB quite well also.
                      Last edited by JIM; 11-19-2015, 05:20 PM.

Comment

I havent been here in awhile, but to be really honest, i find this forum to be very useful and attractive as it is :)

Comment

Working...
                        X