Beware of Aquarium World Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware of Aquarium World Stock

:furious:Bought $150.00 worth of saltwater fish from Aquarium World. All flashing and covered in flukes a day later. They looked fine in the store but after a day they look terrible. Really it's my fault. I should have checked them closer before buying. Called to complain because I live out of town but my complaint did not seem to mater. Just sorry for your trouble. They did suggest trying fresh water dipping if I could catch them, good luck. I did manage to catch one. He died the day after treatment. I will take this as a learning lesson. Never going back. Disgraceful that a store would knowingly sell diseased stock.
    Second fish was finally caught today 10/25 because it is dying. Moved it to another tank. It probably won't make it. The bad thing is now is I just noticed a mark on my hippo. He has been with me for 4 years. I am so pissed!!!!

I mourn your loss. However, I don't believe any pet shop purposely sells diseased fish. It would result in a downward spiral. You did not mention if it was a reef tank. If it is not, you have more options. Fresh water dipping is helpful but not 100%. There are medications on the market that will treat this fish when in quarantine. You drove at least 100 miles each way and I am sure it is disenchanting to suffer such immediate losses. I don't know how much room you have but a 20-gallon quarantine tank (on sale at Petco's for $20) might be a good investment.

Mike

Comment

Petco in Huntsville has been horrible lately also...multiple dead saltwater fish in many aquariums every time I go and many have ick
      30G fowlr
      55G planted community
      30G corner Glo tank

Comment

i personally never shop there, but it is mainly due to the pricing. they tend to cost much more than many surrounding stores in the area. i do not have salt tanks, but many stores like those run off a large circulation system. if one tank is sick, many others become sick as well.

i agree with mredman that they didnt intend to sell you diseased fish. if they were not showing any signs of illness in the store, then you cannot say they were aware and did it on purpose.

there are many other places in houston that are better for pricing and stock....fishland, fish gallery, adg, T&T, that aquarium place, aqua aquarium...that is just to name a few. these stores are smaller, and run by good people. very knowledgeable

Comment

City pets was my favorite when I loved in H-Town
          30G fowlr
          55G planted community
          30G corner Glo tank

Comment

Sorry for the loss. It's really a matter of luck sometimes to buy at fish store. I believe it's anybody's worst nightmare to buy a sick fish, and it in turn get your expensive fish at home sick. It's good practice to have a quarantine tank.
            010G Long fin BN grow-out
            020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
            020G Leulepi grow-out
            020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
            030G Leulepi breeder
            030G SRD FlowerHorn
            040G Hongi Sweden breeder
            090G Tangs community
            100G Tangs community
            150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

I have had this happen several times. Once you loose a tank of petro's to a sick trio of yellow labs, and a tank of geo's to a sick group of tetras, you buy a quarantine tank. You can never be sure, 100% that the fish you are about to buy is healthy, ITS ALWAYS GOING TO BE A RISK.
              I have 3x 10g setups, one for every tank I have. They are under the stands. They stay running. I only quarantine one fish that's going into the respective display above at a time.
              This way even if I buy two different fish for two different tanks, if one is sick it won't infect the other.
              I give them two weeks in quarantine and if all is well, they get added to the main tank.
              This makes stocking slow, but takes out the impulse buy factor as well as any threat to your fish you already invested time and money into.
              Hope this helps.
              Last edited by BIG FISH; 10-27-2015, 10:35 AM.
              ELOS 120 - Retroculus Xinguensis, Geogphagus Neambi
              5g AIO Betta, Pygmy Cories

Comment

Working...
              X