No announcement yet.

5 gal reef tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had pretty good experiences with setting up nano tanks of that size. As far as equipment recommendations:

Yes, the AC30 would work just fine on the 5 gallon you described. You can turn it into a fuge and put macro algae back there, or you can just keep a small amount of filter floss/block there. A word of caution -- if you keep any kind of filter material, you NEED to clean it out every 2 days or so. It will fill up with stuff, which will quickly break down and release ammonia and nitrates in your tank. With a tank that size, it can be a big problem. Not to say that if you don't clean it out on time you will have a catastrophic meltdown, it just is good practice and will help keep algae and other bad events at bay.

A good heater, light, and scrubbing pad will do wonders. I personally recommend the Nano-Mags (~$10 on amazon). They help get into small places when cleaning your glass.

Biggest tip I ever got from an experienced reefer is to do what you do, and don't change it. Once you have a routine and know all the chemicals/water/daily maintenance you need to do, stick with it. It's always when you change up something major that something major happens.

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Comment

Working...
    X