No announcement yet.

Who breeds angels and discus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Discus. They are called Angels of Heaven, but they are so high maintenance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Discus aren't as sensitive as people think. I have discus and I love them but most of the captive bred are a lot hardier and tolerate a wider variety of water conditions. Mine are currently in a community tank with my rainbows until I fish cycling their new home :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

After looking at the discus requirements, I went with koi Angels (10) in a heavily planted aquarium. Each one has individual markings so I can identify each of them. Too many people told me not to mix angels with discus.

Mike

Comment

Angels will bully the discus sadly. My discus have claimed the heater side as their territory but they swimming with my rainbows and seem to be comfortable. My biggest mistake when I got them was only getting 2. They lie to be in a school so I should have started with at least 4

Comment

I need more tanks! To many possibilities...

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mredman View Post
              I need more tanks! To many possibilities...

Mike
              We all NEED more tanks lol. I currently have more tanks than I have space. Time to get creative lol

Comment

Mike angels will spawn in Houston water. Most angel sold in stores were spawn in the Tampa area which has very similar water.
                Raising angels here I used straight tap. After spawn I pulled the slate and put slate into a gallon jar with rain water. Eggs act totally different in rain water as oppose to our tap water. Once fry became free swimmers. Feed newly hatched baby brine shrimp. After first feeding placed gallon jar inside 10 gallon aquarium with tap water. Once most fry had swam out I removed jar. I added baby corys to tank to eat extra food that angels didn't eat. You need to pass as much food passed angels as possible. Thats why you use a small tank first. After they are about an eraser size moved to grow out vat.

Comment

I vote for discus as well. I only keep discus and shrimps now.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Who View Post
                      Mike angels will spawn in Houston water. Most angel sold in stores were spawn in the Tampa area which has very similar water.
                      Raising angels here I used straight tap. After spawn I pulled the slate and put slate into a gallon jar with rain water. Eggs act totally different in rain water as oppose to our tap water. Once fry became free swimmers. Feed newly hatched baby brine shrimp. After first feeding placed gallon jar inside 10 gallon aquarium with tap water. Once most fry had swam out I removed jar. I added baby corys to tank to eat extra food that angels didn't eat. You need to pass as much food passed angels as possible. Thats why you use a small tank first. After they are about an eraser size moved to grow out vat.
                      Great advice. I need a grow out vat... Or a fish farm. Are the smaller fish farms profitable?

Comment

Mike your not thinking on a big enough scale. When raising fry. Its just as easy to raise 10,000 fry as it is 50.
                        Raising angels for sale on a weekly basis. You will need at least 50 pairs or more.
                        Every Thursday we set up 1000 1 gallon aquariums to spawn tetras and barbs. One week tetras and then next week barbs.
                        Trios (2M,1F) were placed in aquariums on Friday. Monday removed trios and collected wigglers.
                        Corys are spawn in an algae covered vat. Styrofoam squares on top so to be the only clean surface. Just removed and replace Styrofoam after spawning. Livebearer just breed in ponds. Plecos the same way as livebearers.
                        Since most of you are into African Cichlids. Those are easy. Use a concrete both vat that's 10' by 20' that is 12" to 18" deep. 4 piles of stacked bricks put close to each corner. Ratio of males to females. 1 male to at least 15 females. Only 4 males per vat. Striped females 14 days after full moon. Generally getting 2500-3000 fry a month.
                        Hope this gives you some insight to the scale of what a farm does.

Comment

Amazing! Thanks for sharing. Mike

Comment

Mike anytime you would like some help just let me know. PS heading to my real home in Cancun since college softball for my daughter is over. Will return the end of August for fall softball and a many year class reunion. She will join me in Cancun and pitch o me on the beach. Stay safe everyone and enjoy your work so that I get my SS check,

Comment

I have discus. When you are ready, come on by to see them.
                              Hanh
                              Fish, shimp, shrimp, fish...all are just as wonderful!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Who View Post
                                Mike anytime you would like some help just let me know. PS heading to my real home in Cancun since college softball for my daughter is over. Will return the end of August for fall softball and a many year class reunion. She will join me in Cancun and pitch o me on the beach. Stay safe everyone and enjoy your work so that I get my SS check,

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
                                Fish, shimp, shrimp, fish...all are just as wonderful!

Comment

Working...
                                X