Who breeds angels and discus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who breeds angels and discus

My 135 gallon is still a work in progress. I have been adding RO water this week but my LFS is always short of supply. It is only half-filled. This weekend, I hope to get the filter system running.

It will be a heavily-planted tank with a Greenleaf CO2 system.

Who has discus and angels?

Mike

There are lots of options for you. Have you ever seen those water filling stations in the parking lots of strip malls such as Watermill which looks like a windmill? That water is Pure RODI and depending on what filling station you go to can cost anywhere from 25-35 cents per gallon. the only drawback is having change or dollar bills, but easier than going to a fish store. It takes less time at the filling stations too. your other option is an RODI unit. It would take several days to get enough water to for filling or waterchnges on a 135g but no need to lug heavy containers around.

Comment

Originally posted by mredman View Post
      Who has discus and angels?

Mike
      I think KenB breed angel. He might have some for sale.
      010G Long fin BN grow-out
      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
      020G Leulepi grow-out
      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
      030G Leulepi breeder
      030G SRD FlowerHorn
      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
      090G Tangs community
      100G Tangs community
      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by blaciarmd View Post
        There are lots of options for you. Have you ever seen those water filling stations in the parking lots of strip malls such as Watermill which looks like a windmill? That water is Pure RODI and depending on what filling station you go to can cost anywhere from 25-35 cents per gallon. the only drawback is having change or dollar bills, but easier than going to a fish store. It takes less time at the filling stations too. your other option is an RODI unit. It would take several days to get enough water to for filling or waterchnges on a 135g but no need to lug heavy containers around.
        Good to know. Thanks.
        020G Leulepi grow-out
        030G Leulepi breeder
        030G SRD FlowerHorn
        090G Tangs community
        100G Tangs community

Comment

TDS of the Watermill outlets is 50 ppm. If I am paying 35 cents per gallon, I want something lower. Otherwise, water changes have a minimal effect if your goal is to limit dissolved solids to less than 150 ppm.

Mike

Comment

I test with A pocket TDS meter and the highest reading I got was 7 from Watermill. Believe me I do test even at pet shops. Perhaps the unit you tested needs maintenance, but the one I go to never has read more than 7 TDS. I have used other water filling stations similar to the Watermill and they are usually not far from each other. I have an RODI unit, but if I'm in a crunch for time ill go to the filling station to get water.

Comment

I keep wild caught altum angels, panda uarus, and other fish from the Aabapo region and so im particular about water softness and its easier to lower PH too as well.

Comment

Eric. From aqua pet paradise breeds discus. He has very nice set up. Lots of discus.

Comment

I have had Discus spawn in a planted tank many times. But I was keeping discus in my plant tank. If I wanted to breed them and raise the fry, I would put them in a bare tank. In a bare tank you have control of water parameters such as TDS, pH, temp, lighting, water change frequency.
                  In a planted tank you have limitations on how often you do water changes, how much light, and how long lights are on. Fertilizer, co2, temperature, filtration, water flow/movement, and other things required while tending to a planted tank that has fish.

If I keep Discus again, I will do so in a tank with a hard scape of branches. No plants. That way I can try to keep water parameters in check. Plants like lower water temps, higher Ph, higher dissolved solids, nitrogen, ect.

I was moderately successful at keeping a planted tank that had Discus in the tank. Never tried to breed them, but loved when they laid eggs and defended sections of the tank. That tank was operated on tap water here in Spring. No R/O water ever used. Again, if I focused on breeding I would have changed water quality. Weekly water changes in a 120 gallon was task to keep plants happy and sand substrate from clouding tank for days.

Hope I have said something of use to you here. And back in the day the recommended against keeping Discus and Angels together. That might have changed recently.

Post some pics as things evolve!!

Comment

Due to the high temperature requirements of discus, my interest has been dampened. I am now the proud owner of 10 koi angels with some high fin serape tetras to boot (fish with questionable motives). Like humans, fish can be isolationists, bullies or snipers.

Mike

Comment

i know troy tucker breeds altum angels...last i saw he was trying to sell them, but he does have a lot of experience breeding angels

Comment

MikeB on here breed angel, but I have not seen him on here much lately.
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community

Comment

In my passed I did breed Scalar Angel. At one point I had breeding pairs of Silver, Platinum, Marble, Gold Crown, and Koi. Never had to do anything to the water. I aged tap water back then. Now I just use AmQuel + and tap water. I took a long time to get the Altums use to the tap water but it can be done.
                          My Altums have never bread. I wish they would. No one I have heard of has.
                          I have Discus too. They do well in our tap water. They have been bread in our water. So I hope when mine are grown. They will breed.
                          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I have ten koi angels that I purchased when the size of a dime. Six weeks later they are the size of a half dollar. The color is improving every day. The angels are in a community tank but I expect some of them to pair off.

Troy has had much success with Houston water. However, I make a 20-gallon water change every four days in my 135-gallon aquarium with RO water (Before today's water change: 124 ppm, afterward: 99 ppm) . It keeps my TDS fairly constant. In a plant-heavy, fish-heavy tank, my TDS increases about 5 ppm every day. I am also dosing fertilizer. I think a 50% water change with RO water could be quite stressful since the TDS is 0. There are theories that when acclimating fish, the change in TDS is a more significant factor than temperature or pH. I have no personal data to support this hypothesis and you never know about sources you read on the Internet. However, I believe frequent water changes are a necessity to keep fish and plants healthy.

Mike

Comment

I agree Mike. Water changes mean everything to growing Angels or Discus. I do my Discus tank 2 times a week. Keeping the water fresh and clean helps them grow but also keeps them from getting sick.
                              TDS has a lot to do with hard water PH. and as your TDS falls so does your PH. Fish can not take a big jump (up or down) in PH. So the TDS should be the same. Big jump= dead fish.
                              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Working...
                              X