Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berried amano shrimp

Not sure if I should get excited but I woke up to a fully berried amano

i didn't think they would even lay eggs in freshwater but now I know better...lol
    real question is will they hatch and mature? I don't have my hopes up but is it normal for amano shrimp to lay eggs in freshwater? I was under the impression they wouldn't.

just a couple more pics

I had done research before on amano shrimp before I got them but a lot of what I was seeing did not go into detail about breeding them or rearing the larva. I looked specifically on breeding them and I actually found some info https://gabhar.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/breeding-amano/
    so after reading I'm going to attempt to raise the larva. Though I admit cultivating diatoms should be easy but seems wrong....lol

Comment

Amano Shrimp breed well in ponds. There is a post here about it.
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Cool. You will find out soon if they will hatch. I got some ghost shrimps from local pond. They have berry all the time but I never see shrimplet.
        010G Long fin BN grow-out
        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
        020G Leulepi grow-out
        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
        030G Leulepi breeder
        030G SRD FlowerHorn
        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
        090G Tangs community
        100G Tangs community
        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Talking about this thread Troy
          You like your aquatic companions to be spineless? Talk about your snails, shrimp, crayfish, lobsters, and anything else without a backbone here.

Comment

Bad news, I caught the berried amano eating the eggs. Woke up this morning and no more eggs.

Comment

Woke up today to see another berried amano. This time I'm not doing anything. Last time I kept the mother in a breeder net. I really don't have hope anything will come of it.

Comment

Finger cross for you.
                020G Leulepi grow-out
                030G Leulepi breeder
                030G SRD FlowerHorn
                090G Tangs community
                100G Tangs community

Comment

ok I now have 3 berried amano shrimp...what the heck is their deal?...lol

Comment

Any babies from last berried?
                    020G Leulepi grow-out
                    030G Leulepi breeder
                    030G SRD FlowerHorn
                    090G Tangs community
                    100G Tangs community

Comment

amano shrimp need brackish water to breed, and are very difficult to get the fry to survive in captivity. they will become berried in freshwater, but nothing will hatch.

this was a good article i found: http://aquariuminfo.org/amanoshrimp.html

Comment

That's what Iv read aswell. I read a bunch of articles on how to raise the larva but I also heard from Troy that there was someone that was on the forum raising them in a freshwater pond. I searched and found the thread on it, pretty good read. Either case I can't afford to buy anymore aquarium supplies and I'm too lazy right now to dig a pond...lol. I'm leaving them alone for now till prolly after Christmas then I may invest in breeding.
                        The second berried amano I talked about earlier is still berried I think, not 100% sure it's the same one but I think it is.
                        i wanted badly to get a tiny 3G filtered tank from petsmart to raise the amano larva but Iv been buying up gear for my daughters next tank, giving her a new tank for Christmas. I'm going to take her old tank and turn it into a sump.

Comment

I also have a berried ghost shrimp

Comment

The count is now 4 berried amano and two ghost shrimp

Comment

I think one of the ghost shrimps eggs hatched. I was watching my tank from across the room and seen a Molly chasing what looked like just a tiny particulate in the water, I took a closer look and it was the tiniest little shrimp. He managed to get away and into the anacharis before being gobbled up. I may have a berried rcs running around, can't wait for those little guys to take off.

Comment

Working...
                              X