Any shrimp breeders in here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any shrimp breeders in here?

I've been wanting shrimp for a while, but I didn't have a suitable tank. Now that I'm using my 20 gallon for Guppies and Platys only, I think it would be fine. Just wondering if we had any shrimp breeders in here that would be willing to part with them.

I also wanted to make sure that shrimp and platys would play well together. From what I've looked at online, they seem to coexist okay but some cover for the shrimpies is needed for when they have babies. Do I have that right?

yeah the platys will eat the baby shrimp, so you will need a lot of cover for some to make it to adulthood and continue the colony. you may lose some adults in the process to test out your tankmates. just add a filter sponge or pantyhose layer over the intake to the filter or the shrimplets get sucked into it

there are a few people on here that keep red cherry shrimp. i know i see pictures from time to time of thriving colonies. can post a wanted thread in the market place.

i am going to be buying blue velvet shrimp for my new tank and start to build up a colony.

Comment

I already have a sponge over the filter in that tank because of the guppy fry! I'm going to be donating a majority of my platy this month, so hopefully it wont be an issue, but I'm tempted to try shrimp when that happens.

I've fallen in love with the orange eye blue tiger shrimp, but they are so darn expensive! (pic from shrimpusa.com)

Attached Files

Comment

haha yeah those are nice but i agree on price....i mostly see $15-$20 each. some sites (elite inverts) offer 10 for $100. i never ordered inverts from any site though

Comment

Well I was on aquabid and there was a guy selling them in Pearland. I was tempted to message him, but it was still more than I really wanted to pay. Beautiful shrimp though!

Comment

yeah they are...the dream blue velvets are the same deep blue color (just no orange eyes and stripes)...still not cheap, but cheaper than the tigers :)

Comment

Well let me know how it goes and if you end up breeding (and selling) them

Comment

Java moss would provide excellent cover for shrimps.
                010G Long fin BN grow-out
                020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                020G Leulepi grow-out
                020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                030G Leulepi breeder
                030G SRD FlowerHorn
                040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                090G Tangs community
                100G Tangs community
                150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by JCrizz View Post
                  I already have a sponge over the filter in that tank because of the guppy fry! I'm going to be donating a majority of my platy this month, so hopefully it wont be an issue, but I'm tempted to try shrimp when that happens.

I've fallen in love with the orange eye blue tiger shrimp, but they are so darn expensive! (pic from shrimpusa.com)

That is a very handsome looking shrimp.
                  020G Leulepi grow-out
                  030G Leulepi breeder
                  030G SRD FlowerHorn
                  090G Tangs community
                  100G Tangs community

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
                    Java moss would provide excellent cover for shrimps.
                    I have a bunch in my puffer tank, so I could move it. No boys in there right now, so it's kind of pointless...

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                      haha yeah those are nice but i agree on price....i mostly see $15-$20 each. some sites (elite inverts) offer 10 for $100. i never ordered inverts from any site though
                      Dang pricey shrimp. :?
                      020G Leulepi grow-out
                      030G Leulepi breeder
                      030G SRD FlowerHorn
                      090G Tangs community
                      100G Tangs community

Comment

You might want to do a shrimp tank only if you are to invest that much money.
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community

Comment

puffers will eat the baby shrimp too....but thick java moss will give them a sporting chance to hide. some have hit and miss results for shrimp with dwarf puffers anyway (but more often than not i hear adults can fend them off)

i have some amanos with my dwarf puffers and they leave them be...but amanos are larger than RCS

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
                            You might want to do a shrimp tank only if you are to invest that much money.
                            agree...to get a good colony going have them alone

Comment

Originally posted by JCrizz View Post
                              Well let me know how it goes and if you end up breeding (and selling) them
                              intent is to breed yes...see how long it takes for a colony to get up and going, but i will sell should i get good numbers. my first attempt with cherry shrimp didnt go too great a ways back. i think i was overdosing Excel. people say they can be sensitive to it. live and learn

Comment

Working...
                              X