Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I have some concerns with my pea puffers

Hey, watch the slime coat buddy!
    Where do you get the fresh stuff? I'm on the southwest side of town and refuse to go to T&T for anything.

I have decent sight breaks right now, but will probably rescape soon. You can probably see in the pics, but my plants aren't doing very well in the sand, even with the root tabs. The Amazon Sword is doing okay (the one in the pic) but the wisteria is dying and the anubis is just too small to provide any cover or breaks right now.

I also have Otos in the tank, so I usually have some zucchini in there for them. Though, I found one of my otos dead this morning and his head was really red, so I was wondering if maybe he got attacked overnight. he was on the opposite side of the tank than where they had been hanging out. I'm just not sure

Stop staring at my caudal fin.
    grindal worms culture! and you won't have to buy food for fish any more

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EpikMuffin For This Useful Post:

Beth777 (08-06-2015)

Do I feel pain? Who's asking?
    frozen cubes i just get at petsmart....you can get them in cubes or slabs. they also sell things like daphnia, different frozen shrimp, etc. for other fish

what kind of light do you use? that could be one thing. i am not a planted tank expert, but many things can cause withering. sand could be an issue. its harder for the roots to really establish themselves. swords do absorb a lot of nutrients, so root tabs def help. my planted tanks one has just gravel, and other was just set up with eco complete. this lets the roots have spaces to grow through and not push through sand. my wisteria started out as a rooted plant, now its mostly a floating version with hanging down roots. dont bury the anubias roots either.

last idea is just nutrients in the water too. some plants take in nutrients through their leaves/stem instead of their roots, so minerals in the water are essential. can maybe try using flourish.

its possible the oto got bit....or also possible things were picking at him after the fact. not sure there.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to morpheus For This Useful Post:

Beth777 (08-06-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by EpikMuffin View Post
    grindal worms culture! and you won't have to buy food for fish any more
    yeah if you get your hands on a culture thats nice....father in law has micro worms, grindals, blackworms, etc. that he collected. but he lives in PA so i cant nick any from him haha

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post
    frozen cubes i just get at petsmart....you can get them in cubes or slabs. they also sell things like daphnia, different frozen shrimp, etc. for other fish

what kind of light do you use? that could be one thing. i am not a planted tank expert, but many things can cause withering. sand could be an issue. its harder for the roots to really establish themselves. swords do absorb a lot of nutrients, so root tabs def help. my planted tanks one has just gravel, and other was just set up with eco complete. this lets the roots have spaces to grow through and not push through sand. my wisteria started out as a rooted plant, now its mostly a floating version with hanging down roots. dont bury the anubias roots either.

last idea is just nutrients in the water too. some plants take in nutrients through their leaves/stem instead of their roots, so minerals in the water are essential. can maybe try using flourish.

its possible the oto got bit....or also possible things were picking at him after the fact. not sure there.
    This is my light: http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-ML9...dp/B00KL8TPC0/

It's also my first try at keeping plants, so I expect some bumps. All in all the amazon sword looks pretty good, but you can clearly see the leaves aren't as healthy as they could be.

I have the 24" and the lights are on about 12 hours a day. I don't use the night mode, but keep the day mode lights on a timer (about 8 AM to 8:30 PM)
    Last edited by JCrizz; 08-06-2015 at 10:26 AM. Reason: more details

light should be ok for low light plants. i dont use the moonlight setting either on my strip light. my light is on around 11 hours a day...6am-12pm then 5pm-10pm....no algae eaters in there yet so the break helps that a little. but its across from a widow and gets natural light too

its a learning process. its not uncommon for some leaves to wither and die when introduced...as is the case with my crypts in my new tank. leaves are yellowing and withering....just hoping it bounces back.

people here give good suggestions for starter plants, or give away clippings at meetings. ask around what people have.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to morpheus For This Useful Post:

Beth777 (08-06-2015)

light should be ok for low light plants. i dont use the moonlight setting either on my strip light. my light is on around 11 hours a day...6am-12pm then 5pm-10pm....no algae eaters in there yet so the break helps that a little. but its across from a widow and gets natural light too

its a learning process. its not uncommon for some leaves to wither and die when introduced...as is the case with my crypts in my new tank. leaves are yellowing and withering....just hoping it bounces back.

people here give good suggestions for starter plants, or give away clippings at meetings. ask around what people have.
    I'll be at the next meeting later this month. The one at HAW! I love John, he's an awesome dude! We actually talked about the meeting before it was announced, so I'll definitely be there with Bells and Whistles! Also donating a bunch of Platy ranging from fry to adult... I just hope someone wants them

Stop staring at my caudal fin.
    yeah the light is fine. just give the plants some time to establish.

I had all kind of live food when I kept dart frogs. Now I only keep grindals culture for the fish. Maybe I will make some starter cultures for members here, just don't have any space and time at the moment.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EpikMuffin For This Useful Post:

Beth777 (08-06-2015), JCrizz (08-06-2015)

My swim bladder is full.
    I fed my dwarf puffers frozen blood worms. The crazy guys wouldn't eat snails. I believe frozen is much better than freeze dried too. I have a small container that I thaw them in and will share with the guppies, betta and brichardi. I don't know if it's bad but I've fed a cube over about a 3 day period. Because of the herbivores the 75gal seldom gets blood worms.

My swim bladder is full.
    These puffers looked like you had literally pinched their stomachs as hard as you could.

i agree the parasites would need to be cleared first. the most common medications used are seachem ParaGuard or Tetra ParasiteGuard

i got mine from fish gallery, but never had any issues and never treated for IPs. took them a few days to start eating, but ever since they devour bloodworms. bellies get round after feeding and go back to a thinner streamline fish next day. i only feed every other day since they gorge themselves. almost an entire bloodworm cube between the 4 of them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast