Betta Macrostoma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betta Macrostoma

Brandon has me looking at wild bettas. They are so cool!

Love these guys!

As I was getting ready to fish out all my fish from my ADA 120P for a rescape, these guys decide to put on a show for me. I'm happy to be able to capture th...

They are great looking, I have always wanted some white seam fighters or snakeheads as well
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Nice. How are they able to house more than one male in the same tank?
      010G Long fin BN grow-out
      020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
      020G Leulepi grow-out
      020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
      030G Leulepi breeder
      030G SRD FlowerHorn
      040G Hongi Sweden breeder
      090G Tangs community
      100G Tangs community
      150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Most wild bettas are actually tolerant of multiple males in the same tank, with the ornamental strains they were bred for aggression for fish fighting.
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

I didn't know there are so many wild strains and how fascinating they are until Brandon advised me to look. I've seen them mentioned on sites but never bothered to check them out. I love'em. I've never been wow'd by the long elaborate tails of the LFS bettas. I'll go for a smaller tail every time, and it's one reason I always get a female.

Comment

I'm ready for another tank sale. Let's get some! LOL

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
            They are great looking, I have always wanted some white seam fighters or snakeheads as well

Comment

Originally posted by Beth777 View Post
              I'm ready for another tank sale. Let's get some! LOL
              Oh oh somebody is on the shopping spree. LOL.
              I have to curb my desire after 10 tanks.
              020G Leulepi grow-out
              030G Leulepi breeder
              030G SRD FlowerHorn
              090G Tangs community
              100G Tangs community

Comment

Originally posted by Beth777 View Post
                I didn't know there are so many wild strains and how fascinating they are until Brandon advised me to look. I've seen them mentioned on sites but never bothered to check them out. I love'em. I've never been wow'd by the long elaborate tails of the LFS bettas. I'll go for a smaller tail every time, and it's one reason I always get a female.
                Generally, wild betta do not have vibrant color like the one seen at store. Those shown in the video looks great.
                020G Leulepi grow-out
                030G Leulepi breeder
                030G SRD FlowerHorn
                090G Tangs community
                100G Tangs community

Comment

Beth, I'm glad you like wild bettas! My favorite species is Betta uberis. Another favorite of mine is Betta imbellis.
                  ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something
                  fishy going on here, and I kinda like it!

Comment

If you want to house multiple betta B. macrostoma (they average around 4 inches) you'll want at least 3 males to spread the aggression , so your looking at a 40 gallon breeder. A 50 gallon 4ft would be better. They are mouth brooders. I lost mine during the move. I do have a small group of B. albimarginata "white seemed fighter" (extremely easy to keep). They only get a little over an inch and you can keep 6-9 in a 10 gallon. B. channoides "snake head fighter" is a class act too. The white edge is thinner than albimarginata and is only 2/3 the circ. the dorsal fin is red instead of black and the body is a brighter red.
                    Emerald Green Rainbowfish
                    Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Betta macrostoma are from Brunei and wild specimens are smuggled out or sold by people with connections to the royal family. They cut off your hand if they catch you with one of these.
                      Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
                        If you want to house multiple betta B. macrostoma (they average around 4 inches) you'll want at least 3 males to spread the aggression , so your looking at a 40 gallon breeder. A 50 gallon 4ft would be better. They are mouth brooders. I lost mine during the move. I do have a small group of B. albimarginata "white seemed fighter" (extremely easy to keep). They only get a little over an inch and you can keep 6-9 in a 10 gallon. B. channoides "snake head fighter" is a class act too. The white edge is thinner than albimarginata and is only 2/3 the circ. the dorsal fin is red instead of black and the body is a brighter red.
                        Mouth brooding is an interesting fact about this betta. Most betta locate their eggs in the bubble net built by the male.
                        020G Leulepi grow-out
                        030G Leulepi breeder
                        030G SRD FlowerHorn
                        090G Tangs community
                        100G Tangs community

Comment

Wow! That's wild!

Betta macrostoma are from Brunei and wild specimens are smuggled out or sold by people with connections to the royal family. They cut off your hand if they catch you with one of these.

Comment

I'm rather envious that you get to experience these. I love bettas so much and it's always been a bit sad that I could only have 1 per tank.

Comment

Those 3 species are paternal mouth brooders. Male carries the eggs. Albimarginata and Channoides are easy to get and a pair can be kept in a 2.5 gallon. Just remember to ALWAYS keep it covered by
                              Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Working...
                              X