Fugu puffers at Xtreme pets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fugu puffers at Xtreme pets

I saw these guys the other day for sale for only $15 and had to resist buying one. They are being sold as freshwater puffers, but according to my quick Google search they are true saltwater fish. The store worker didn't seem to know that. She said they had been there a couple of weeks already. They looked fine and very active and healthy, but I don't know for how long they can stay in freshwater. Had to resist The urge to impulse buy. I've never seen coloration of markings like that on any other puffer. Very vibrant.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

T&T seems to be one of the few stores that I've seen that actually puts their fish in the water they should be in, and doesn't lie about it.

Comment

Brackish fish are tough many move back and forth from FW to Marine and anything in between. Most need a little of them all so the only constant is change really
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

That's what Neale Monks and a great guy named Nick taught me. When I used to clean my GSP's tank I would often change the salinity a bit, and slowly change it over time. I didn't keep it perfectly consistent but avoided big changes. I don't know, but when he got sick and I took him to the LFS, the guy said he'd never seen a GSP that big and felt he was dying of old age. I still miss him terribly even though he only liked my son.

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
          Brackish fish are tough many move back and forth from FW to Marine and anything in between. Most need a little of them all so the only constant is change really

Comment

I can't raise guppies but give me a puffer in a brackish tank and I'm fine!

Comment

Love Neal Monks and Nick! Brackish just changes a lot over even short periods. Flooding gets fresh, droughts cause marine and a mix of the two so its an everchanging dynamic in that delta zone. The fish are tough as they adapt and change with it to take advantage of the plentiful resources there. We have a Lot of natives here as well
              Desiderius Erasmus
              GHAC President

Comment

I can't believe you know Nick!! How cool!! of course every one knows Neale. I'm sure they wouldn't remember me, my goodness they probably can't begin to count how many people they've helped, but those men went above and beyond in holding my hand through the whole thing. From before I bought the puffer to setting the tank up and picking him out. Edmfc1 is the one who sent me to T&T to get my little guy. It was a great experience. Those 3 people will always be near and dear to my heart.

Love Neal Monks and Nick! Brackish just changes a lot over even short periods. Flooding gets fresh, droughts cause marine and a mix of the two so its an everchanging dynamic in that delta zone. The fish are tough as they adapt and change with it to take advantage of the plentiful resources there. We have a Lot of natives here as well

Comment

He wrote the bible for brackish tanks a few years back for TFH and it was amazing. Definitely should be on any keepers list
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

I do what ever Neale says to. Have you talked to Nick?

He wrote the bible for brackish tanks a few years back for TFH and it was amazing. Definitely should be on any keepers list

Comment

Nick as in the one from HFB? He is into brackish a lot and see him every month usually though it depends on if we are talking about the same Nick lol
                      Desiderius Erasmus
                      GHAC President

Comment

I'm thinking of a Nick from The Puffer Forum. It would be awesome if it's the same guy.

Nick as in the one from HFB? He is into brackish a lot and see him every month usually though it depends on if we are talking about the same Nick lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nageltribe View Post
                          I saw these guys the other day for sale for only $15 and had to resist buying one. They are being sold as freshwater puffers, but according to my quick Google search they are true saltwater fish. The store worker didn't seem to know that. She said they had been there a couple of weeks already. They looked fine and very active and healthy, but I don't know for how long they can stay in freshwater. Had to resist The urge to impulse buy. I've never seen coloration of markings like that on any other puffer. Very vibrant.
                          From what I heard, puffer is born in fresh water. As they grow, they would transition into brackish water. They will finally live in the salt water. Is that correct?
                          010G Long fin BN grow-out
                          020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                          020G Leulepi grow-out
                          020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                          030G Leulepi breeder
                          030G SRD FlowerHorn
                          040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                          090G Tangs community
                          100G Tangs community
                          150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Nope, but I know him as well. We were quasi active over there for awhile. Had some great discussions with him there about some oddballs and tank thoughts
                            Desiderius Erasmus
                            GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
                              From what I heard, puffer is born in fresh water. As they grow, they would transition into brackish water. They will finally live in the salt water. Is that correct?
                              Generally yes, it depends on the species and their particulars. They are on 3-4 continents and each are only loosely related so many adapted and evolved to similar roles with no common relatives.
                              Desiderius Erasmus
                              GHAC President

Comment

Working...
                              X