Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just got some pea puffers and I couldn't be happier!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got some pea puffers and I couldn't be happier!

I just got my first set of pea puffers. 1 boy and 3 girls... I think. That's what I was going for and I'm pretty sure I got it.

Also got 5 otos... So far so good

Big picture

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Man I love pea puffers. I had some years ago, but aren't they brackish? Looks great btw!
    30G fowlr
    55G planted community
    30G corner Glo tank

Comment

Pea puffers are not brackish. I have them in my planted tank. they help keep the snails in check.
      Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Oh ok awesome! I wasn't sure. Now I want some for my planted community
        30G fowlr
        55G planted community
        30G corner Glo tank

Comment

definitely a neat fish to have....and 4 puffers in that size tank should not be a problem. i have 4 in the 10gal and no aggression at all. eat like pigs though

i tried for 1M and 3F, but i got 2 and 2. difficult to tell when they are young. two have the distinctive eye patterns now (the neon blue cracks). mine have never bred, or are just continually eating the eggs out of the java moss.

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
            Pea puffers are not brackish. I have them in my planted tank. they help keep the snails in check.
            yes def not brackish. and no snail lives in my tank either haha. when i go on an extended vacation i go to petsmart or whatever and they give me a bag of pond snails for free from their tanks. drop those in and all gone by the time i return.

Comment

Wow! They eat em up like that, that fast? I gotta defiantly get some now. There so cool to watch. Harder to find up herein Huntsville, I may have to go to fish-r-us
              30G fowlr
              55G planted community
              30G corner Glo tank

Comment

Do y'all think they'd be ok in a planted community?
                30G fowlr
                55G planted community
                30G corner Glo tank

Comment

Originally posted by TattedUpFishGuy View Post
                  Wow! They eat em up like that, that fast? I gotta defiantly get some now. There so cool to watch. Harder to find up herein Huntsville, I may have to go to fish-r-us
                  i cant say how quickly they ate them. i just know i can throw in like 50-60 or so and i still never see a snail. they will pick them off over time. the snails just dont have the time to grow up. i normally see them at fish gallery whenever i am there.

i removed my nerites from the tank before buying the puffers since i heard they will essentially pick as the foot of the larger snail and can stress them to death.

Comment

Originally posted by TattedUpFishGuy View Post
                    Do y'all think they'd be ok in a planted community?
                    its generally not recommended, but i have heard of it being done. it depends on the fish and setup. puffers are slow moving, but they can get very protective of their territories and will nip fins a lot. they also like a heavily planted tank or they can become stressed.

if you Google it...some have success and others dont with tankmates. people that do say its ok have smaller and faster fish to avoid getting nipped. like white clouds, danios, maybe some more active tetras or rasboras.

i for one have them in a species only tank, which is usually the recommended route. some larger amano shrimp to clean up the extra scraps is the only other thing in there.

Comment

Nice been thinking about getting some for my son's room
                      125g: Empty For Now
                      90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
                      Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

I read a lot of places that the puffers leave the oto catfish alone (plus otos are fast swimmers) and some people also have success with kuhli loaches. The puffers are super fun to watch, especially when they stalk their prey. I wouldn't recommend having them in a tank with like guppies or something with long flowy tails. It's been done, but you may come home to a tank of carnage and death one day (maybe that was a little dramatic lol).

Comment

Crizz, they look so much better! Their stomachs are not all sunk in now. I'm glad everyone is doing so well and you're enjoying them.

Comment

I'm actually surprised you haven't showed up at my house to check up on them! Or maybe you have... [emoji15]

Comment

You didn't notice food missing?

Originally posted by JCrizz View Post
                              I'm actually surprised you haven't showed up at my house to check up on them! Or maybe you have... [emoji15]

Comment

Working...
                              X