Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Equipment to run during cycling/Do I really need a protein skimmer for 29 gal tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equipment to run during cycling/Do I really need a protein skimmer for 29 gal tank

Hi, I just set up my first tank (29 gallon) with 30 lbs of live rock and 16 lbs of live sand (adding more sand tomorrow). All equipment I have running right now is a 500 gph circulation pump and a heater. Is this okay for while the tank is just cycling? I wasn't planning to use a protein skimmer but I am now considering one. I was going to use a HOB Aquaclear 70 filter but it has leaked, so now I'm back to the store tomorrow for either another filter or a protein skimmer. Thoughts?

Thanks

Are you going fowlr or with corals? What do you plan to stock your tank with? My skimmer went out and I've been without one for a while. Also where did you get your rock and sand?

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
      Are you going fowlr or with corals? What do you plan to stock your tank with? My skimmer went out and I've been without one for a while. Also where did you get your rock and sand?
      Thanks for replying. I plan to do corals eventually. I got my rock from Fish Land off of Westheimer and my sand from Petco (Coralife)

Comment

With a small tank I would get a skimmer. Although you can get away with your AQ70 and water changes.

Comment

You don't need a skimmer while recycling but I would get one for later. I think someone has a HOB skimmer for sale at Marshreef.

Comment

Search DIY protein skimmer on you tube. You can probably make a very cheap and effective one with the pump you already have . Just an option to consider...

Comment

I ran my Tank for a while before getting a skimmer. No reason you need one right away.

200 - African cichlids
              72 - Salty Bow Front
              33 Cube - community
              10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

You don't NEED a skimmer. Is it a good thing to have? Yes. However, you would want it turned off while cycling anyways.

Comment

If u plan on coral, u MUST FIND A WAY TO EXPORT NUTRIENTS. Rule to reefing is, having a skimmer twice the capacity of your tank. Remember, a filter is not a way to export nutrients. All a filter does is trap debris but it stays in the system until u clean the filter. Your skimmer is probably the most important piece of equipment to your reef.

Comment

I Got a cube 24 x 24 x 24, with 3 fish and coral in it. just do water change 10 gallon per 2 weeks. never got a problem. everyone happy and healthy. Just my experience

Comment

Originally posted by fishmania21 View Post
                      I Got a cube 24 x 24 x 24, with 3 fish and coral in it. just do water change 10 gallon per 2 weeks. never got a problem. everyone happy and healthy. Just my experience
                      How long have u had it setup? How big are the fish? What type of coral?

If you don't have a way to export the nutrients, it will build up. Your phosphate will be out of control. Your tank might look healthy now, but you will see problems 6 months to a year down the road.

Comment

Working...
                      X