Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My afternoon adventure in the wilderness of my back yard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My afternoon adventure in the wilderness of my back yard!

The snake of the day in my swamp is the Texas Banded Water Snake. This is a non poisonous snake. It is sometimes accused of being a water moccasin because it looks a little similar and lives in the same environment. There were 3 of these snakes hunting in a shrinking pool of water in the swamp. They are juvenile so that tells me the local population is probably healthy. I have seen adult water snakes a few times probably their parents. I see snakes in this area of the swamp often. I have seen recently several water moccasins, one of them very large! I have also seen coral snakes in this area. There could be hundreds of snakes on my property! I have seen a few chicken snakes in the past also but they live on dry land. After photographing the water snakes I went fishing and caught an alligator gar. What a cool fish! I returned him to the bayou after the photo session.

Attached Files

Very cool Ken. Is that a aligator gar you holding?
    010G Long fin BN grow-out
    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
    020G Leulepi grow-out
    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
    030G Leulepi breeder
    030G SRD FlowerHorn
    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
    090G Tangs community
    100G Tangs community
    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
      Very cool Ken. Is that a aligator gar you holding?
      Yes, that is an alligator gar. We have been catching them and a few catfish this weekend. We had fried catfish and fried alligator gar for dinner yesterday! I saw a large alligator in the bayou yesterday too. Didn't get a picture though. First gator I have seen here this year.

Comment

Nice
        125g: Empty For Now
        90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
        Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

That's so neat that you get to live like that. One of my dreams. I'm a country girl that couldn't wait to follow the big city lights and now I'm ready to go back to my roots.

Originally posted by Ken B View Post
          Yes, that is an alligator gar. We have been catching them and a few catfish this weekend. We had fried catfish and fried alligator gar for dinner yesterday! I saw a large alligator in the bayou yesterday too. Didn't get a picture though. First gator I have seen here this year.

Comment

Ken, you got any snails in your backyard wilderness?
            010G Long fin BN grow-out
            020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
            020G Leulepi grow-out
            020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
            030G Leulepi breeder
            030G SRD FlowerHorn
            040G Hongi Sweden breeder
            090G Tangs community
            100G Tangs community
            150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Working...