No announcement yet.

Duckweed Bloom!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are right on with the tec. part but hasn't this pond been brackish water?
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
      You are right on with the tec. part but hasn't this pond been brackish water?
      Great point! I think this is a very critical factor. The pond has had so much fresh rain water going through it that it is now close to completely fresh. I think if it still had enough salt in it the duckweed wouldn't grow. It could be that is the single factor that enabled this growth because the animal runoff has been there in the past and I did not get this duckweed growth. I will check specific gravity later and I think I will find it close to zero.

Checked specific gravity today in the pond and in the bayou. The pond is 1.001 which means just a tiny bit of salt in it but maybe no salt because how accurate is my little gauge? The bayou is 1.000 which means no salt. So that is what enabled the duckweed to grow. The pond is now totallt fresh water.
      Last edited by Ken B; 06-01-2015, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Raise some ducks. They would take care of duckweed problem.
        010G Long fin BN grow-out
        020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
        020G Leulepi grow-out
        020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
        030G Leulepi breeder
        030G SRD FlowerHorn
        040G Hongi Sweden breeder
        090G Tangs community
        100G Tangs community
        150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

That sounds like an awesome spot for the collection trip for sure! Our club has one every year (usually in March/April) and we are always wanting new spots to try out. The collection trip (and all events) are free and open to anyone interested in coming. We call ourselves a club, but no one really has membership. Its just a lot of us Houstonians that are are fish geeks and enjoy hanging out and learning a bit more in a social dynamic. Come out to one of the meetings and meet us, its really a lot more fun then it sounds like. If you are open to it, I'll try and remember to hit you up next spring and we can come out and do it there, lots of kids and adults trudging with nets and having fun.
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
            Raise some ducks. They would take care of duckweed problem.
            They would have plenty to eat, that's for sure!

Comment

It looks like the duckweed assault may be over. The duckweed appears to be receding. But if it is receding that creates another mystery. Where is it going? But I am happy that is it not continuing to grow. I threw the cast net tonight and caught these guys. One is a small mouth bass and the other is some kind of sunfish. Sure glad the rains have stopped!

Attached Files

Comment

Awesome. Now you have some wild caught. LOL
                010G Long fin BN grow-out
                020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                020G Leulepi grow-out
                020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                030G Leulepi breeder
                030G SRD FlowerHorn
                040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                090G Tangs community
                100G Tangs community
                150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

The fish are eating it.
                  Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Working...
                  X