Green severums spawned!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green severums spawned!

I bought a pair of large green severums from a man in Santa Fe a few months ago. He said they were a breeding pair but they never spawned for him. I told him they probably didn't spawn because they were 2 males. But I bought them anyway. They are beautiful and very large severums. Well it looks like they are indeed a breeding
    pair. It will be a few days before I know if it is a good spawn of course. The male is the one with the half green and half white tail fin and the female has the orange anal fin. They were having a difficult time because 2 big plecos and 3 big syno cats kept sticking their noses into the affair. So, I cordoned them off with egg crate and the severums were able to complete the spawn. This was a surprise. Now I need my red severums to spawn. They should be soon.
    Attached Files

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Thanks! I am so proud of them!

Comment

It's not often you hear of captive sevs spawning, that's quite a feat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Congrats on the spawn! That male is gorgeous looking. (Did you do a large water change Ken? lol)
          010G Long fin BN grow-out
          020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
          020G Leulepi grow-out
          020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
          030G Leulepi breeder
          030G SRD FlowerHorn
          040G Hongi Sweden breeder
          090G Tangs community
          100G Tangs community
          150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Thanks! I have another tank with red severums and a few gold severums. It looks like I will soon have one gold female (from Ptran) and red male (from Adam) pair spawning and possibly another pair of 2 red severums. I think part of the formula is to have a lot of tank space for them! I currently also have spawning krobia xinguensis, jewel fish, geo brasiliensis and green terrors. I will have angels spawning as soon as I can free up some tank space for them. I am having a lot of fun with this and I will have some fish for sale in a few weeks. They have a little more growing to do before they can leave home.

Comment

Congrats! That male is a stud.
              150 gallon - Mississippi map turtles, chocolate cichlids, red spotted severums

40 GB - Red Shoulder severums

John 3:16

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Ken B View Post
                  Thanks! I have another tank with red severums and a few gold severums. It looks like I will soon have one gold female (from Ptran) and red male (from Adam) pair spawning and possibly another pair of 2 red severums. I think part of the formula is to have a lot of tank space for them! I currently also have spawning krobia xinguensis, jewel fish, geo brasiliensis and green terrors. I will have angels spawning as soon as I can free up some tank space for them. I am having a lot of fun with this and I will have some fish for sale in a few weeks. They have a little more growing to do before they can leave home.
                  Hmm, I always thought that was a male. LOL
                  She was a big female then. Anyway, keep us posted on their spawning.
                  010G Long fin BN grow-out
                  020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                  020G Leulepi grow-out
                  020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                  030G Leulepi breeder
                  030G SRD FlowerHorn
                  040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                  090G Tangs community
                  100G Tangs community
                  150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

They haven't spawned yet so that big gold could still be a male. I think we will know soon though. Breeding tubes are out just al little. When they come out all the way, we will know for sure.

Comment

Congrats Ken how's that tank working out for you
                      125g: Empty For Now
                      90g: Planted S.A.

“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.”
                      Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

Thanks! So far it looks like a good spawn. Thwere are a few eggs turning white and that is normal. They are eggs that did not get fertilized. So this means the rest of the eggs are probably good or they would all be white. Will let you know when they hatch.

Comment

I resealed that tank and it is currently housing about 13 green terrors. Waiting for them to make more babies for me. Good strong tank, just needed a reseal. Thanks!

Comment

Ptran, yes, he is a super good looking fish with all that green patterning. Yes I did large water change! I think they thought it was springtime and figured they should make babies. Fortunately they aren't smart enough to wonder why there are so many spring times in one year!

Comment

VIRILITY UPDATE!!!!! Severum eggs hatched today! So we have a good pair. Very high percentage hatch too. Now we wait for a potential red severum pair and a gold/red severum pair who are doing a lot of fish smoochy smoochy (defending an area and cleaning a slate). Also bought 9 rotkeil severums today but it will be 3 to 4 months before they are ready to spawn.

Comment

Working...
                              X