ID Help Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID Help Please?

I help manage a small conservation garden for a water district on the NW side of Houston (Cypresswood Water Conservation Garden). We have two artificial (liner) ponds on the site for the wildlife. The property is not near any other bodies of water (Cypress Creek is about 3/4 of a mile away). They were originally stocked w/ Gambusia to maintain mosquito control. During my spring cleanout the other day, I discovered two other species in one of the ponds. I think one is Bluefin Killifish and the other is some kind of Shiner. I would really appreciate any help anyone could give. This property is open to the public, so it's possible someone decided to "gift" them to us. But I need to know if either/both species could be found in local waterways and be brought in by birds.
    Attached Files

Both are native though one is likely introduced. The killifish is indeed the Bluefin Killifish (Lucania goodei) which was likely introduced via birds and is found locally though far more common in the northern reaches of Houston area (which happens to correspond to the area in question). The other is a Golden Shiner (Notemigonus crysoleucas) in my opinion. These were native to Eastern Texas riveres, but have been used as bait minnows and have had their range dramatically increased as a result. These I would bet were a release of leftovers from a fishing trip or possibly from a bait shop. They can and will breed freely. They can get sizable (8-12") and up to a quarter pound. They often outcompete our local native shiners in local creeks, but would not be considered invasive or exotics. These and the Mexican tetra have seen marked increase in their range due to their use as a bait fish. Their eggs are just too fragile to have been carried by birds in my opinion though, thus my guess as to their origination. Try and double check to verify these as the species and ask any other questions you might have.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

The lucania goodei often lay their eggs in snail shells. If any snail shells came in with your gambusia that could be a source. To me, gambusia is a trash fish and should be eradicated. Lucania goodei is a gem that should be treasured. The goodei will control your mosquitoes. I know a lot of people that go to Florida and Texas just to snorkel with these beauties. Treasure them! I can't add anything to the shiner discussion other than YES, this is a shiner. IF YOU DECIDE TO GET RID OF THE GOODEI, I'D GLADLY PAY POSTAGE!

Comment

I agree with the Golden Shiner ID. The greatly de-curved lateral line is a big indicator of that species.

Comment

Originally posted by Parklandbob View Post
          To me, gambusia is a trash fish and should be eradicated.
          That's an unfortunate attitude. Gambusia are native to the area, are useful for mosquito control in areas where they are native, they thrive in waters that are marginal or impossible for other fishes to survive in, provide a food source for all sorts of animals from larger fish to wading birds and even mammals like raccoons. They serve a purpose in our ecosystem.

Comment

Working...
          X