LFS disappointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LFS disappointment

Started to creep back into the hobby just recently and decided to actually stop by a few LFS in the SW side of town on Monday. Boy was that a huge disappointment. Stopped by Xtreme, Unlimited, City Pets, HAW, and ADG.

Xtreme had the same old stuff they always have with a surprise of Axolotls!! Of course the brother's store (Unlimited) would have them too.

Unlimited had a decent pick with one of my all time favorites Exodon Tetras. Though they looked to be starved and their color wasn't too vibrant. A few other neat fish, but nothing that caught my attention.

City Pet's SW selection is always pretty up to par, but I was in for their fw selection. Green neons and their tiny 1.5" fahakas caught my attention. Everything else seems like the same stuff from a few years back. Even their Halloween crabs that nobody wants that are enormous now (about the size of my hand).

HAW had a decent selection with a nice small selection of nano fish including pygmy cories. John's been trying to get me to try Discus forever now. Supposedly getting a new shipment in soon as it looked like he was wiped clean of all the Discus.

My last and uplifting stop was ADG. It seems like ever since they went retail they've been my favorite LFS. Fish tanks are well kept up and livestock is well fed. Everything looks amazing. Prices were a tiny bit higher than the other lfs, but honestly would pay the $$$ for peace of mind knowing that they were well kept and won't die the next day. Don is always a pleasure to chat with and such a friendly guy to do business with.

All in all, I was glad I got disappointed first and left from my lfs trip on a good note. But just thinking back before ADG went retail, I used to frequent Xtreme and Cory Pets because they would always have something very nice/interesting.

Add to this list. I went to Fish Gallery early Saturday morning couple weeks ago to get white sand. Boy o boy the staffs seemed unhappy and unfriendly. It was a sad trip for my kids and I. I bought the sand and bought my kid a large size decor dragon. $26. What's funny is that the cashier looked at the price and somehow thought its a price mistake and charged $40 for it, but we got it resolved bc manager was called. BTw the price is clearly on the tag. Threw the receipt away, two days later the green paint started to peel off so yeah now can't do anything with it. Disappointment and 0 help from the staff.

Comment

ADG is by far the best store in town and Don is a pleasure to do business with. I refuse to go Fish Gallery due to the fact that they sold me a colony (19ish) of "F1 Tropheus Red Ndole Bay" juvies for a pretty penny only to find out that half were Moliro and half were Ndole after they reached maturity. Of course by then they had started to bread and I had no clue what I had. I culled the entire colony along with over 40 fry. Lesson learned...I guess.

Comment

ADG is awesome a good variety of fish Fresh and Salt water, and Don is truly amazing with many many years of experience and lots of knowledge.

Another great one is Aqua Pets Paradise. Kind of new so not many know of it., they have some African C. and a couple other fish but they focus mainly on Discus, German and Asian. Eric has lots of knowledge and is very honest about his fish, he puts a lot of work into them and wouldn't sell you something that is bad and he would not want to keep as his own.

Comment

I still have not been to ADG. I have hear great things about it but it's so far away from me. HAW. is a road trip. I haven't been to city pets in some time. I try to do the round trip to as many as I can. Even fish land can surprise you some times.

For what fish gallery wants for their stuff. They should be much more polite and helpful.

never heard of Aqua pets. Where is it at?
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

14520 Memorial Dr Suite 58

Its a new store not even a year so thats why many don't know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior08 View Post
                14520 Memorial Dr Suite 58

Its a new store not even a year so thats why many don't know it.

https://www.facebook.com/aquapetsparadise/timeline
                Yeah definitely new. Never heard of it before and wasn't aware of any lfs in memorial area

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                  I still have not been to ADG. I have hear great things about it but it's so far away from me. HAW. is a road trip. I haven't been to city pets in some time. I try to do the round trip to as many as I can. Even fish land can surprise you some times.

For what fish gallery wants for their stuff. They should be much more polite and helpful.

never heard of Aqua pets. Where is it at?
                  Troy you need to check it out at least once. I've always been a fan of ADG before they went retail as their stockpile of wood and stones were great. ADG is a bit further (20 minutes east of) but well worth the visit.
                  Last edited by mistahoo; 03-25-2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HokieNHouston View Post
                    ADG is by far the best store in town and Don is a pleasure to do business with. I refuse to go Fish Gallery due to the fact that they sold me a colony (19ish) of "F1 Tropheus Red Ndole Bay" juvies for a pretty penny only to find out that half were Moliro and half were Ndole after they reached maturity. Of course by then they had started to bread and I had no clue what I had. I culled the entire colony along with over 40 fry. Lesson learned...I guess.
                    Well Don did come from Fish Gallery. After he left them, it seemed as FG started on a slow decline

Comment

yea well definitely wort checking out (Aqua Pets) on your next fish trip or if you are in the area.
                      Ive been several times since he specialize in Discus.
                      But the owner Eric is very knowledgable on all fish and he takes good care of his stock, quarantining every new arrival and making sure they are good to sell before he sells anything! thats a good thing I like about him.
                      And if you need any type of fish he can special order it no problem =)
                      From the others that I know have visited there are no complains or negative reviews on him.

Comment

I agree with Junior08 on Aqua Paradise. Eric seems like a honest owner who cares about his livestocks! Not a big store but he mainly have discus. Sometime less is more since he can maintain/ keeps good care of his livestock!

Comment

On the Aqua Pets Subject....
                          I thought I would share these pics here.
                          Just brought home some Juvenile Discus from there today! Great job in packing them and as you see they are all out swinging and exploring their new home! Can't wait till they settle in [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice setup
                            Out of the hobby for now..

Comment

Working...
                            X