X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i'm telling you. Petros!!
    Blue giants or Bulu's!

Comment

Wow that awesome tank , I never thought that tank can go through single door!!!
      My vote goes to Tangs as well.
      Tropheus Moorii Golden Kazumba
      Petrochromis Red Mahale

Comment

My vote goes to Discus. With that much water you can keep a very healthy and great looking group of discus. Sky is the limit! Congrats

Comment

I am going through similar research doing a 350g discus tank which would have some former live rock in the tank causing the hardness to go up. It has been done and several people are keeping discus in slightly harder water conditions. There are additional benefits to RO water though ( algae control) and a mix of RO with conditioned tap seems to be the preference. I spoke with Eric at Aquatic Pets and he does discus QT in conditioned tap getting his used to Houston water.
          Both him and HAW have the great reputations so talk to them and see if it seems like a fit for you. Discus seem like a bit of work but worth it.

Comment

Update please.
            010G Long fin BN grow-out
            020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
            020G Leulepi grow-out
            020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
            030G Leulepi breeder
            030G SRD FlowerHorn
            040G Hongi Sweden breeder
            090G Tangs community
            100G Tangs community
            150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Tagging

Comment

Thanks, Desiderius. The Clouded Archer would be fantastic. I have read it could grow up to5-6" which would be great.
                75G Planted (Candy Cane Tetras, 2x Queen Loaches, 5 x Otos)
                670G Community (WBSDs, Geo. Sur., Bio. Cupidos, Clown Loaches, GBRs, GN Pleco, Pink Tail Chal., Monos, Balas)

Comment

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                  The tank looks great. I like the Discus. or a fly river turtle.
                  Troy, the Fly River turtle looks great. I had to Google that one as it was new to me. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Fish Galllery display tank may have one of these. All that said, I saw online somewhere that they are priced at $500-$750. So, the turtle may have to wait for awhile!
                  670G Community (WBSDs, Geo. Sur., Bio. Cupidos, Clown Loaches, GBRs, GN Pleco, Pink Tail Chal., Monos, Balas)

Comment

Indigo, thanks for the detailed reply. Last week I went and saw the owner of HAW and we talked it over for a half hour or so. Discus certainly seem possible, but when I heard about the necessity of grow-out tanks to get the discus to full size, that was a big problem. At the end of the day, I think discus is off the table. Don't want to fight the tap water parameters when there is so much I can do with other fish. I had a small RO unit on my boat a few years ago (converted sea water to pure H2O) which was slow and expensive to buy, but very handy. Am definitely not keen on the idea of getting back into one of those!

Comment

All, after careful consideration and long talks with the people at HAW and ADG, I've decided against going discus. I haven't formalized or properly researched this idea yet, but I'm hoping to build a population composed of some oddballs like Arowanas, Florida alligator fish, maybe a couple other gars, fire eels, silver dollars, cloud archers, bala Sharks, clown loaches, and hopefully a bunch of colorful (Malawi?) cichlids. Still need to select the right variety of Plecostamus, tiger loaches, gouramis, a couple Florida stingrays (need to do more research to ensure they are legal!), etc.

As I reread the above list, I'm thinking this requires a lot more research on compatibility! It ought to be possible to have a bunch of healthy and happy fish who also do well with the tap water here in Sugar Land. Maybe I'm worrying too much about hard water, but there seem to be better fish options for my situation.

I appreciate all the responses and suggestions. You all convinced me to at least partially stock cichlids!

P.S. I'm filling the tank today to leak test and to run the filters. So far so good. If all goes well, I should have it decorated (selected a couple nice stumps, large rocks, sand/gravel blend for substrate) and cycling in a week or so. The folks at ADG have been very helpful in getting this going at a reasonable price. Can't say enough about how good they have been to work with.

Comment

There are no legal fresh water stingrays in Texas. Sorry to say.

The turtle is something I have always wanted and can never afford. and if you found one for $750.00 that cheep. for the only fully aquatic fresh water turtle.

I do Altum Angel's in our tap water. So I think you are worrying more then you need to.

That's a big list.

Take picture! Every one loves Picture!
                        Last edited by troy tucker; 03-05-2015, 05:53 PM. Reason: Por speelling
                        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Originally posted by Paulie52 View Post
                          Troy, the Fly River turtle looks great. I had to Google that one as it was new to me. If I'm not mistaken, I think the Fish Galllery display tank may have one of these. All that said, I saw online somewhere that they are priced at $500-$750. So, the turtle may have to wait for awhile!
                          Fly River Turtle can grow to 28-30" might be too big.
                          010G Long fin BN grow-out
                          020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                          020G Leulepi grow-out
                          020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                          030G Leulepi breeder
                          030G SRD FlowerHorn
                          040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                          090G Tangs community
                          100G Tangs community
                          150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Definitely an awesome list, and even though your tank is massive, I would highly recommend looking into compatibility with that mix. As much as I love me some cichlids, you might wanna take those guys off the list to reduce aggression issues. Glad to see progress being made, sometimes these big tanks take forever. Makes it tough being a spectator haha

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

Fly river turtles get 22 in..
                              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

New 670g Discus Extravaganza!

Originally posted by troy tucker View Post
                                There are no legal fresh water stingrays in Texas. Sorry to say.
                                Florida stingrays are legal to own in Texas. Fish gallery generally has them. When ever I see them there, they are generally $125-$150.

Xtreme fish used to carry them as well.

Problem is they can reach sizes on average 24"-28" in diameter. And they only can survive in fresh water a juveniles. When the reach adulthood, they require at a minimum brackish water. Some claim to be able to keep them in straight fresh water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

Working...
                                X