Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freeze; Where is global warming when you need it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze; Where is global warming when you need it ?

The record cold hit so fast I didn't get a chance to catch some giant danios for next years breeders. ( Or I didn't get grandkids to visit to do it.). The danios have been in the pond over 5 yr as I remember ( might be 10 yr ). It's amazing how many danios will live in a 800 gal pond ; with 4 Koi of about 4# each. Grand kids took out 50 this summer and it didn't make a noticeable difference. I judge from how much the surface churns when I put in some flake food .So I put in 200 watts of heat and float some Styrofoam panels .

Does the Styrofoam work ? Show some pics of the pond, I always like having a gander at them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Back again in 2017 ; now where the heck is GW ? A 29 on the deck ( no fish ) - The duckweed is in 1/2" of ice. The danios in the pond are not going to like the 18 F air temp. As with first post 150 w heater and Styrofoam, It is pretty ugly, I cut the sides from fish shipping boxes so it is 85% covered with white Styrofoam rectangles. A new year resolution is to learn how to put photos here.
      Just checked water temp - 51.4 F . Lucky I pulled out some danios.
      Last edited by blacksmith37; 01-07-2017, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah, let's see some pics. Hope they make it ok

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

200 - African cichlids
        72 - Salty Bow Front
        33 Cube - community
        10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

New experiences; Cut a small hole in the inch of ice in the 29 to allow for expansion . Up north ,I put inner tubes in above ground pool for this. It worked until about 1977 when I had a 4 ' X 18' X 36' ice cube/berg in the backyard (old reminiscing). I have taken photo -step one.

Comment

I believe the 51.4 F was the pond low temp, Took off the foam in 75F heat today. Put on a pinch of food and got some ripples; Wild guess 10 % of normal activity for feeding. So some danios made it . Naturally, the Koi were not affected . Water is 59 F today.

Comment

Maybe they will all go deep and survive. :)

Comment

As the pond warms to 68, many Danios came to eat.( Actually cold water sinks so the bottom is coldest , as i remember at 34F water has the greatest density.) I don't think I lost many.

Comment

Pond with winter covers.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thats interesting because ive found that lots if not all North American Natives go deep in the Winter. Year round temps stay the same on the bottom. I do HVAC and thats why we install geo-thermal heating lines below the frost line.

Comment

The pond is 67 F; The danios have already gone up the 6 " step into the "river". Surprising to me that danios can survive 51 F for several days .

Comment

It is spawning day for the Koi. Water is 67 F. Yesterday I noticed the danios have gone up the 6 " waterfall into the "river" . And as I opened the door , a large hawk took off ; he had been sitting about 30' above the pond ( watching the Koi ). Sharp shinned and Couper hawks are frequent visitors, but I have only seen large hawks in the yard a couple times in many years . There are too many trees for the egret type birds.

Comment

I tried something crazy ; I scrapped up koi eggs from an easy spot and put them in a small empty pond. I lost most but guess I put 50 in the small pond. Frogs and toads may have eggs in there too, but I didn't see any. A 55 half full of rain water has a bunch of their eggs.

Comment

Working...
                          X