Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm back...Setting up a dwarf puffer tank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt the tank is looking great.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

So headed up to Fish Gallery after running a few errands yesterday. To my dismay, they only had one dwarf puffer left. Oh well, picked him up and also grabbed a few carbon black shrimp and a huge marimo ball.

He has been exploring the tank and is very curious, picking at the driftwood and the plants. He also met a nerite snail and gave him a little tap, but then left to do other things. He made his bed in a little spot under the largest marimo ball. I checked on him last night and he was fast asleep.

Hopefully FG will get a few more puffers in soon as I would like to have 3 or 4 in this tank if possible.

Anyway, enjoy the pics!

puff4.jpgshrimp2.jpgpuff3.jpgpuff2.jpgpuff1.jpg
      15g column BB low-tech driftwood/planted - Dwarf Puffer Tank :lupe:

Comment

Very nice! Dwarf puffers are endless fun and just so inquisitive...
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        Desiderius Erasmus
        GHAC President

Comment

Update

Tank is doing great. I have 4 dwarf puffers and they are doing fine together for several months now. Plenty of hiding spaces and things to keep them busy. Looks like I have 3 females to 1 male, which is about perfect. One of my females is much larger than the others...and of course the male, who is the smallest yet the feistiest in the tank. They are coloring up nicely, with some yellow highlights on their fins and deep greens and browns on their bodies. The male has iridescent bluish lines behind his eyes. They are very curious and inquisitive. They know when I go to the freezer and pull out their food...this send them in a frenzy with all four of them starring me down through the glass like 4 dogs looking through a window.

They move around constantly and are hard to capture with an iPhone...

So far I am very happy with this easy to maintain bare bottom tank. The plants keep the water fresh and everyone is happy. Water changes are once every two weeks mainly to vac debris, as nitrate is still virtually undetectable due to plants. Between water changes, I end up topping off with a gallon or so of water every two weeks. Water change amount is about 40% at a time.

I am dosing leaf zone twice a week, and my lights are only on for 7 hours on a timer, from 1pm to 8pm. I had some green spot algae forming on the leaves at 8 hours but cutting it back last week to 7 hours has already made a noticeable improvement.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Matt in Houston; 03-09-2015, 12:33 PM.

Comment

awesome! absolutly love it! Do you do anything specific for those plants? Whats the watts per gallon?
            ELOS 120 - Retroculus Xinguensis, Geogphagus Neambi
            5g AIO Betta, Pygmy Cories

Comment

Thanks! This is a great 15g tank that can be picked up at Petsmart or Petco for around $85 and the lid can be modified to fit extra lighting. I also upgraded the filtration. Its the same tank that Mhx just used in his purple colored Ram tank. I added a fixture that put an extra two bulbs in the hood, LED's bulbs equal to about 40w each (300 lumen ea), using 4.8w energy. The 8w T5 that comes with the hood was swapped for an Aqua-glo. So over all it is less than 100 watts of light for the 15g tank, much more than I actually need...So I have some floating plants like duckweed and hornwort to provide a slightly dimmer setting.

Plants are very hardy and grow new leaves weekly. Took a few weeks to acclimate but have taken off after that. No Co2 and no ferts except leaf zone. After a water change sometimes they pearl.

Comment

i have a fluval spec v and i was thinking of going the planted route, right now im cycling witha zebra danio. I was thinking threadfin rainbows and pygmy cories. Maybe red root floaters, crypts, ect. thanks man. love the puffers!
                ELOS 120 - Retroculus Xinguensis, Geogphagus Neambi
                5g AIO Betta, Pygmy Cories

Comment

I like the tank, very nice coloring!
                  In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
                  Desiderius Erasmus
                  GHAC President

Comment

Whoa, How I missed this thread. Great color with the red background.
                    010G Long fin BN grow-out
                    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                    020G Leulepi grow-out
                    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                    030G Leulepi breeder
                    030G SRD FlowerHorn
                    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                    090G Tangs community
                    100G Tangs community
                    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

wow, i know this is an old thread, but just wow. I bought dp's at FG a few years ago right about that time, but i got two males and one female, instead of one male and two females, and the bigger male killed the little on while i wasnt home.

Comment

Working...
                      X