Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay or Nay: Using feeder goldfish to cycle a freshwater tank

Hey all.

Just wanted everyone's opinion on using comet goldfish to cycle a new freshwater tank. Keep these factors in mind:
    • I do not plan on keeping goldfish in the tank
    • The fish may be feeders (bought from Petsmart) and carry disease

What are the forum's thoughts based on experience yay or nay?

Yay or Nay: Using feeder goldfish to cycle a freshwater tank

Too risky for my taste, I stick with Seachem stability. Also helps when you have generous friends with established media

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

What's the purpose of Stability @Austy? Still new to the hobby and haven't heard of it.

Comment

It's a kickstarter for beneficial bacteria, to speed up the nitrogen cycle. Great for new tanks if you follow the directions. I believe it's a high dose the first day and then a smaller constant dose for the next 7

"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile."

Comment

I do not recommend feeder, but what you can do is go online at drsfosterandsmith and order what you need to start it off. You can get whatever fish you want but you hav to do the right steps to keep them alive.

Comment

I would not add anything to your tank that is likely diseased. Now picking up some freshwater fish or snails that are healthy and using them to start the cycle would be better.
            Guppies:
            Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
            Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
            HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

The feeders are a bad idea.
              Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I agree with people before me to post. the feeder fish are generally not in the best of health, and goldfish in general are pretty dirty fish in terms of waste.

i personally have never cycled with feeders. i let the tank run by itself for a week or two without anything in it first. this way i make sure the temperature is being regulated correctly by the heater. then just introduce healthy fish for a good source. just monitor the levels in the water in the short term as is cycles because ammonia and nitrites will spike. the water changes will slow the cycling, but it just takes time.

the Stability that Austy mentioned is a good way to introduce the good bacteria you need and seed your media. or like he said others can give you some used filter media.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone! I foolishly had goldfish cycling the tank before I asked the forum. We will see what happens. I will keep everyone posted.

Comment

Working...
                  X