Wavemaker or pumps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wavemaker or pumps?

I have a 90 gallon tank that I am working on.

Can I do without a wave maker and use air pumps instead?
    How many wave makers or pumps do I need?

If your answer is wave maker - any opinion on a cheaper option than the vortech mp40? That is expensive. :(

What are you planning? If you are doing fish only then you MIGHT be able to get away with bubblers, but it really isn't a long term solution. If you want a reef setup then yes you need something other than a wave maker. You can get away with koralias etc. There are also the jebao wave makers which are about a third of the price of vortechs.
    However, I will say, everybody who does saltwater started out looking for ways to do it on the cheap....One universal fact though, is we all eventually realize marine aquariums aren't the easiest or best area to be cheap on.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Comment

I hear ya.

Lemme me ask it this way.

Vortech mp40 and jebao wp40.

Which one?

And how many do I need for my 90g - 4 feet in length. 1 or 2
      Working on building a reef tank.

A

Comment

Just one of either will be "sufficient" now asking the question of ecotech or jebao is like asking the question Texas or cowboys.....you are asking for an argument! Both have their plusses and minuses. Jebao is cheap but will break soon enough and there may as well be no warranty because good look getting it fixed/replaced in china. ecotech are expensive but are proven over time, have fantastic customer service and I pretty much the "standard" of wavemakers.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been using a Jebao MP-60 for a while now. I'm happy with it.

Comment

I use 2 jebao 40s in my 90 and like the out come of it all. Its just a lot of dialing it in and finding that sweet spot. Only complaint I have is when its super quite and really listen, you can hear them hum every so often but other then that they work like a dream. I do have to mention thst getting 2 is a bit of a pain because you can either have 2 control panels or have the dual panel which is another $50 I believe. I got the dual and it saves me a lot more room.

Comment

I know this is a bit late, but I actually couldn't pass this thread up due to the content involved.

I've been in the reef tank hobby for awhile now. By no means am I an expert, but I have tried every pump that an aquarium could use (well... when it comes to flow necessities), and I have no biases toward any mftg out there...

That being said, I run a 120g reef right now. It's a budget build, and I am very impressed with Jebao's "newer" pump that just came out this year. They are the "RW" series. For your tank, you probably could get away with just running to RW-8's. However, with 1 or 2 RW-15's, you could tune them back (quite a bit, might I add), to make your application work for anything you ever throw in your tank.

Here is my build thread: http://www.reefersparadise.com/smf/i...p?topic=3970.0

And here is my video of the RW-15 in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byVh5pGCAXI

I am now running two RW-15's. The undertow is fantastic! Maybe even better undertow than an MP-40! Definitely more flow than an MP-40, at a fraction of the cost.

Check it out, and let us know what you decided to do. Take care!

Comment

Working...
              X