Backyard Puffer Pond???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backyard Puffer Pond???

Ok so I have a serious question. I am fixing to put my 90g Bowfront freshwater complete setup and fish for sale. I am also going to make a backyard pond with stream and waterfall. I hate to part with my Fahaka Puffer. So I was considering putting him in the pond. When I say pond in talking about an 800 gallon backyard type that recirculates to the waterfall. I plan on having a heater in the pond, as well as plants, rocks, tree trunks/limbs. I'm curious if anyone has done this or know if this would be successful. I also plan on making a fish cave. I have seen several people say they can't survive in a pond, but I never see them say why not. Fahaka puffers survive in the wild in streams and this isn't like a big pond, it will be a combination of stream/pond. I live in an area that doesn't get snow and doesn't really ever get real cold, plus I'll have a heater in pond. So my question is will this work and if not, why? Thanks
    Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

I think temp stability would be a concern. As well as the water stability, as a huge rain followed by a hot placid day could leave you with some serious oxygenation issues. Koi and goldfish are terribly hardy and able to handle it i guess.

Comment

It should work as long as you can solve the heating issues and keeping the temp steady. I think this is going to cause you issues potentially as the cost to heat it to what the puffer needs is going to be significant in the winter. I have a 300-400 gallon pond in my backyard and have raised african, south american, and central american cichlids in it without issue. They do great about 7-8 months of the year on average. I just pulled them out this weekend as night time temps were falling into the low 60's. The central americans have taken even colder temps well into nov/dec but I would not try to push it.

Comment

Thank you for the info! I'll just have to suck it up and let him go with the setup. I'll miss the little guy haha. Thanks again!
        Live Fast, Die Young, Leave A Good Looking Corpse!

Been in hobby since March 2006

Comment

Working...
        X