No announcement yet.

Multiple Males in a 30 gallion tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's also why I always avoid buying adult fish if there's any way possible.

Originally posted by ptran View Post
    The problem as for any wild caught is you don't know how old they actually are, so they could be dead a few months after you bought them.

Comment

That's not long to me. I paid $50 for my blood parrots but I've had them for 10-11yrs and they're still going strong. I guess it's a subjective thing.

Originally posted by black_knight View Post
      Decent life span 2-3 years

Comment

Originally posted by Beth777 View Post
        That's not long to me. I paid $50 for my blood parrots but I've had them for 10-11yrs and they're still going strong. I guess it's a subjective thing.
        Large cichlids and larger aquarium fish tend to live longer. I had a buterkofri for 10 years and the the guy I gave him to kept him for another 6 years.
        I use to have discus I bought as adults and kept 5 years before I sold them.
        But my blue German Rams lived about 3 years
        Emerald Green Rainbowfish
        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I have a Betta Persephone I bought as a wild adult. I've had him 2 years. The 2-3 years is a what they suspect some of the wild ones can survive (smaller species). But they may live longer. Betta spelendens have been used in longevity studies. They use to think they could live about 1 1/2 years max. I gave my mother inlaw one. It lived 5 years.
          Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

2-3 year is average. If your water is good, they can probably live longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            010G Long fin BN grow-out
            020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
            020G Leulepi grow-out
            020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
            030G Leulepi breeder
            030G SRD FlowerHorn
            040G Hongi Sweden breeder
            090G Tangs community
            100G Tangs community
            150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Originally posted by ptran View Post
              2-3 year is average. If your water is good, they can probably live longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Houston tap water is not the best. However, they will do ok with either Kents Blackwater Extract added or dried almond leaves.
              The best is RO water for my wild types. They start breeding with this. Raising fry on my schedule is a no go. I've done it, but keeping live food cultures is a pain. My fish in RO water or Blackwater extract tanks live longer than the plain tap.
              Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I heard the best live food for betta is mosquito larvae, is that correct?
                010G Long fin BN grow-out
                020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                020G Leulepi grow-out
                020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                030G Leulepi breeder
                030G SRD FlowerHorn
                040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                090G Tangs community
                100G Tangs community
                150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

I'm really impressed that you had a ram for 3yrs!

Large cichlids and larger aquarium fish tend to live longer. I had a buterkofri for 10 years and the the guy I gave him to kept him for another 6 years.
                  I use to have discus I bought as adults and kept 5 years before I sold them.
                  But my blue German Rams lived about 3 years

Comment

Do you feel the splendens need black water, RO, or almond leaves?

I have a Betta Persephone I bought as a wild adult. I've had him 2 years. The 2-3 years is a what they suspect some of the wild ones can survive (smaller species). But they may live longer. Betta spelendens have been used in longevity studies. They use to think they could live about 1 1/2 years max. I gave my mother inlaw one. It lived 5 years.

Comment

Do you feel the splendens need black water, RO, or almond leaves?
                      Probably not. The captive strains do ok in neutral water. My mother inlaw used ozarka spring water which is not soft
                      Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I'm really impressed that you had a ram for 3yrs!
                        I have a tendency to tinker with my tanks. Unfortunately this equates to fish dying quicker. The ones I leave alone and forget live longer Lol
                        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Thaks for the reply. You know my little girl, is living in liquid rock.

Probably not. The captive strains do ok in neutral water. My mother inlaw used ozarka spring water which is not soft

Comment

I'm assuming you mean messing with the chemistry?? I'm also assuming you did something to your water to get this ram to live that long? I made it almost a year with some balloon rams. Later I made it about 6mths and after that I said never again to that species. I just like them too much to have them for such a short time and not see them thrive.

I have a tendency to tinker with my tanks. Unfortunately this equates to fish dying quicker. The ones I leave alone and forget live longer Lol

Comment

My problem is I like to rearrange decor and do massive water changes. These guys seem to have done better in a 40 gallon breeder with a bunch of plants a small weekly water change . I barely cleaned the glass. Old established water with infrequent feedings. There was a period of 4 months that I didn't even see them, until I cleaned the glass and moved the large pice of drift wood.
                              Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

New here so sorry if it's a dumb question but- who's Don? I'm guessing he breeds bettas?
                                All this talk about different kinds of bettas is getting me interested in getting a new setup.(Impulsive, I know huh?)

Comment

Working...
                                X