Multiple Males in a 30 gallion tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Males in a 30 gallion tank

Has anyone ever had more then one male betta in a tank?

I would not. I tried adding some small neon fish to my wifes male Betta. it ended up eating them and then died.

Comment

Maybe if you have a lot of cover. I'm thinking a heavily planted tank. I had 2 in my 45 flat back hex. They did fine but had lots of plants.

Comment

The standard store bought/petfart betta males generally will kill or seriously injure one another in the same tank.
        However there are many wild species where the males can be kept together, such as betta albinarginata or betta persephone (I have 4 males and 2 females in a 12 gallon fluval edge). They will display and flare and nip but nothing too serious. Occasionally a nipped fin.
        Emerald Green Rainbowfish
        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Interesting to know

Comment

I raised beta's outside and had a 55gal tank that I raised a spawn in. I left the most of the males in the tank to grow up. It had lots of plants and the fish did fine. but I would not put multiple adult males together in even a large tank.
            Guppies:
            Hi-fin pepper Cory's, Black Cory's, Long Fin Golden Aneus, Swordtails, some lyretail(RREA's, Red, Albino Koi, Red & Gold Tux), Different types of BN plecos(albino, calico, long fin, blue eyed short & long fin)
            Mystery Snails, Yellow Shrimp, CPDs

HAS Master Aquatic Gardener awarded 1997
            HAS Master Fish Breeder awarded 1998

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I have had 3 bettas in my 30 gal going on 2 months but just this past Friday one of my halfmoon got his butt kicked. All of his fins got ripped to shreds. I'm not sure which other betta he got into a fight with but I transferred him into his own small 1 gal tank and now he is doing better. I also separated the others because I don't want any of them to die. So right now I have my dark blue crown tail in the 30 gal and my two half moons in their own 1 gal. I guess their natural instincts kicked in after a while.

Comment

Here's my tank. Its kinda hazy for some reason.

Comment

Not recommended at all. However, like what was mentioned before, there are some species, like Betta imbellis, that can have multiple males together.
                  ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something
                  fishy going on here, and I kinda like it!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon O'Brian View Post
                    Not recommended at all. However, like what was mentioned before, there are some species, like Betta imbellis, that can have multiple males together.
                    +1
                    010G Long fin BN grow-out
                    020G Electric blue, Red Fin Borleye FOR SALE
                    020G Leulepi grow-out
                    020G Leulepi, Julidochromis, chalinochromis, BN breeder
                    030G Leulepi breeder
                    030G SRD FlowerHorn
                    040G Hongi Sweden breeder
                    090G Tangs community
                    100G Tangs community
                    150G Cyphos Moba & Leulepi

Comment

Betta imbellis look fantastic, you can keep multiple males, they will tear one other up to some degree, but if you break up line of site, they do much better. Also they recover better from these fights when they have a place to hide. In a heavily planted tank it tends to be a lot of flaring and an occasional nip. It's quite beautiful to watch.
                      Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

You might want to try paradise fish. They're a very under rated hardy fish. No heater needed.
                        Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Betta imbellis is my second favorite betta species. I'm looking in to getting a pair or two.
                          ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

If you want Beta imbellis try Don or The Wet Spot they've got them wild caught $3.50. Shipping is pricey. Wild bettas are the best. Not fussy, easy to care for. Better chance of breeding with reverse trios. These guys are jumpers!
                            Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

I am planning on asking Don to see if he can get me a pair or two. The Wet Spot is cheap, but those shipping prices are insane!
                              Last edited by Brandon O'Brian; 01-10-2015, 06:46 PM.
                              ​- Brandon O'Brian

There is something

Comment

Working...
                              X