strange markings on pea puffers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange markings on pea puffers

I had some pea puffers and someone gave me some more. One he called tron had weird markings. To him they looked blue and like the movie tron. To me it looks like the puffer has scars in patterns over its body. What causes it? Growing too fast?

A picture would help. I know some puffer markings are like finger prints. There are no two alike.
    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

He won't stay still long enough for a photo, but it isn't the spots, this looks like cracks in its skin all over it. It seems healthy enough - eats fine, still alive, etc. But it just looks distinctive from the rest.

Comment

that is the dominant male of the group. males will develop a set of physical markings the females never get, and the facial markings around the face and eyes are the easiest to identify.

I have 4 pea puffers in a 10g planted tank, and i think I got 2 males and 2 females. i bought them young and its harder to tell until they mature. you try to have 3 females or every male in the tank, or enough territories where the males dont both eachother (breaking line of sight with plants/rocks/ornaments/etc)

here is a good article on sexing of pea puffers: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...arf_Puffer.htm

Comment

Cool! Thank you. Yes that is what the markings look like but he has them all over.

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
          that is the dominant male of the group. males will develop a set of physical markings the females never get, and the facial markings around the face and eyes are the easiest to identify.

I have 4 pea puffers in a 10g planted tank, and i think I got 2 males and 2 females. i bought them young and its harder to tell until they mature. you try to have 3 females or every male in the tank, or enough territories where the males dont both eachother (breaking line of sight with plants/rocks/ornaments/etc)

here is a good article on sexing of pea puffers: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...arf_Puffer.htm

Comment

glad to help...the markings are different for each male, like a fingerprint as troy said.

giving them vita-chem will make the colors stand out even more. its a liquid vitamin supplement, and i soak their bloodworms in it as they thaw before feeding. snails as a treat is also keeps them happy (pond snails or smaller ramshorn)

Comment

Thanks, where can i find vita chem?

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
              glad to help...the markings are different for each male, like a fingerprint as troy said.

giving them vita-chem will make the colors stand out even more. its a liquid vitamin supplement, and i soak their bloodworms in it as they thaw before feeding. snails as a treat is also keeps them happy (pond snails or smaller ramshorn)

Comment

Originally posted by Krisvalkyrie View Post
                Thanks, where can i find vita chem?
                i got mine on amazon. i bought a 4oz bottle shortly after i got the puffers and still have not used it all, so it lasts a while. i have never looked for it in stores, but you can try calling around for it.

Comment

Working...
                X