No announcement yet.

World Cup Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never been a fan of Altidore either, but it's going to put us in a tight spot if Klinsman doesn't have a solid plan B. Glad to see Zusi come in, too- I like him in the mix. I agree we're playing too defensive in general...we need to own that field.

But either way, yeah- we're not beating Germany. Just don't see that happening. Best we can hope for is to play a better game against Portugal and make it out of this group.

Also looking forward to Mexico vs Brazil, that'll be an interesting game!
    "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

that was just a kick in the gut to watch that final goal. literally the latest WC goal in history. i just dont see how they let that happen...you see midfield giveaways often, but when portugal has the ball on the side, and only one freaking attacker going to the box it obviously has to go on a cross to him. usa had 4 defenders back, you cant get out hustled (when you just subbed in a new man 4 minutes earlier who is supposed to have fresh legs against all their attackers)...just disappointing

still in good shape. i guess we hope for portugal to draw, or portugal beat ghana by 1 so that goal diff comes into play.

ideally usa wins but wouldnt mind germany taking it easy knowing a draw advances both teams

Comment

That last kick goal was like a swift kick to the nads for me. I was furious to see it go in, we paid for the Bradley miss. Portugal are better than the US but the US is not as strong as people and the media make us think. The WC is a different story though where rankings and form can go out the window, we should have been able to punish Portugal as they where like wounded dogs and even I could play better than Nani and he scored a goal for em.

The fresh legs where brought on kind of late, sometimes its hard to get into a game the first 10 minutes youve been subbed on but even harder when Portugal have to go balls out for an equaliser or they are out of the tournament.

We have to play for a win on Thursday. Both us and Germany need a point but Germany will play for the win, Portugal will beat Ghana. Klinsmann screwed us by taking a lot of inexperienced players to the tournament, I never thought he was the right man for the job that that rant is for after thew WC!

I am taking Thursday off to go to a bar to see the game. Cant wait for this!
        Last edited by originalhandy; 06-23-2014, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I hated to see it as well, but we are in a tough group. We are currently just behind Germany in GD. I myself prefer Klinsmann, I hated Bradley last cup. What I would like to see is a change in mindset to our team, avoid focusing on eeking by to next round. If we want to be taken seriously and contend we are going to have to face the powerhouses and get results. Going into a competition like this and hoping for 7th place is playing to lose. We need to bring it to Germany and compete, do the best we can and if we continue on great, if we don't we learn from mistakes. This parking the bus tactic ends in disappointment. If we have been successful in midfield and long distance shots keep up the pressure, pass and maintain possession of the ball. We have holes and when we get a lead we fall back and bunker down and lo and behold let in goals. I myself want to see us start racking up higher scores and stop settling for the minimum needed. I am hopeful that if we can get out of the group I can honestly see us getting into the top 4 this cup. We have the people, the leadership, and the skills. We are a lot better then we have looked and need to find that again.
          In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

A top 4 would be pushing it, in reality we are just not that good. Its going to take a while for the youth system that MLS is bringing to kick in and Klinsmann needs to quit looking for any foreigner that'll has a grandmother to play. Stick to what is here unless its great. The US has to grind out results because simply, they're not that good and the competition they face to qualify is lackluster. Because its the world cup, results can be ground out. But skill and quality wise the US are 3rd in the group, probably joint with Ghana.

Brasil, Croatia, Netherlands, Chile, Colombia, Italy, Uruguay, France, Argentina, Nigeria and Belgium (I am just picking likely qualifiers) are all better than us. Any of these on a normal day would beat the us. But, with this being the WC and the results we have seen anything is possible.

Comment

If we come second we most likely have Belgium on July 1st, should be a cracking game!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I have been following soccer in the US for a long time. This US team is better than any other we have fielded. It plays a decent sort of soccer and can be dangerous at times. Klinsmann was the man for the job he has improved the quality and brought a certain swagger to the US game that has never been there before. The draw against Portugal was tough, especially the timing. IMHO the US was the better squad having better opportunities and more possession in attacking third.
                I think we will come out of Thursday with points and finish second to a very good German team. You have to remember this is arguably the toughest group in the cup.
                Mike

Comment

They're exciting to watch as its a WC, I am not sure its the best squad yet or if it is if were playing as good as we can. The route to the WC for the US is a done deal, they never have competition to get here and if they don't make it for some reason its an absolute disaster. They reached the QF in 2002 which with today's ability is about as far as they can get but if we get Belgium I think itll be the end of the road for us. Ive already put in my time off for the game

To me Jurgen is just a name, he failed as manager for Germany and Bayern, 3 years total in work with two teams. He does know youth setups and how they should be run but management isn't what he is great at. None of my friends in Germany rated him for management though he was a great player but like I said, I think he was over hyped by the US media.

Comment

I think the German success is a direct result of Klinsmann, He revamped the youth academies for both Germany and Bayern thus leading to the success they have today. I think 2002 was a bit of an aberration, with an easy group and an easy round of 16 opponent who we knew well. The friendlies that the US played in Europe were an attempt to season the team against good opposition outside CONCACAF.
                    I still think Klinsmann is head and shoulders above any of our previous managers and will form the team into something that will actually be a threat to advance going forward. Hope You are watching The US against Belgium. :-)
                    Mike

Comment

Seems like Suarez wanted to know if Italian people taste as good as Italian food!

Comment

Originally posted by originalhandy View Post
                        Seems like Suarez wanted to know if Italian people taste as good as Italian food!

Third time he bit someone. He serious is in need for some mental treatment.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403704497.656117.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403704509.808994.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403704517.818829.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403704528.547847.jpg

Comment

But we might have the sollutionImageUploadedByTapatalk1403704562.340606.jpg

Comment

I saw him on the pitch with a block of parmesan and a grater, but didn't think anything of it......

Comment

Best chances and first half go to ze Germans. Bradley has to step up. So long as we hang in there ill be happy. US did manage to get possession, the first twenty minutes where torture.

Comment

Working...
                              X