World Cup Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Cup Thread

ok i dont watch much soccer at all. i do watch WC...but that penalty call against Croatia was a disgrace. i was listening on the radio and the announcer yells (paraphrase):

that was a terrible call. that was a flop. come on ref this not the NBA!!!!

i laughed so hard. when soccer players, who flop and act and cry more than any other sport, call out other sports for faking its hilarious. basketball players flop a lot too i agree, but just was a great reference

maybe this is why i find it hard to get into soccer outside of WC time. i watch pro sports to be entertained watching the best athletes in their sport...not to watch them fake injury, fall down, throw up their hands, etc. on every freaking play

I agree completely, and I was rooting for Brazil until...well, they looked like *****, and the ref decided to hand them 2 calls they didn't deserve, IMO.
    I mean, it happens. Refs can only call what they (think) they see...but yes, total crap. I mostly feel *really* bad for Croatia. Like the announcer said, the final score DID NOT reflect what happened on the field. They played a lot better than that. :/

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

It happens due to rules and focus from early stages of training. I remember being taught how to flop in the PK area when I was a forward. I will agree the pk and foul was excessive, but the 1st game in any WC is where the refs hardline the tone. I've also seen red cards for flopping handed out so it can go both ways. Chique Dracul will be the ref to watch for he is our favorite!
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
      Desiderius Erasmus
      GHAC President

Comment

i know its part of every sport, but frustrating. kids are taught if it gets you a call in your favor, who cares if you took a dive. the game moves fast, so the refs have only that split second to make a choice...right or wrong.

now i am waiting for all the conspiracy theorists to come out saying they are fixing matches so brazil wins on home soil

Comment

Agreed, they have discussed using instant replay, but it would have to be available and syatemized with every fifa game. Its coming eventually though, most uefa leagues use it and are working out the kinks
          Desiderius Erasmus
          GHAC President

Comment

it's called Leflopping.
            280g:peacocks
            210g : haps
            12g : shellies
            (4) 55g:breeding tanks

Comment

hopefully they figure something out. i dont know how instant replay would work in a game like soccer. the goal line technology is good and does not impact the game really as most goals are clearly in the net, but where to use replay during play is different. on fouls? offside? ball near the end line? etc...so many things people will say to use it for and it may hurt the game.

FIFA may chalk it up to the "human element" to the game and say its fine live with it

Comment

Agreed, added stoppage minutes and 2 challenges per game might be something that could work though
                Desiderius Erasmus
                GHAC President

Comment

Yes, the flip side of the human element is that ref will likely never see the light of day again. FIFA will let the calls stand, but they definitely hold them accountable as far as their future career goes. And I daresay that ref's career is over.
                  "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

FIFA already has enough bad press and is viewed as the most corrupt organization...they want this to go away fast

i mean how else can you explain a WC in Qatar for 2022? lets play soccer on the surface of the sun guys! oh ignore that oil money in the corner...

Comment

It was a definite dive, South American, Spanish and Portuguese teams are famous for it. It happens less in US, Germany, England, Ireland etc ...

Some of the "flops" are legitimate fouls that are overreacted to, I try not to focus on the over acting at this stage which is hard to do, I admit.

MLS (other.leagues too) give yellow cards now for simulation but sometimes its hard for a ref to see first hand. I think MLS retroactively pubishes too for some blatant dives that where missed.

Replays wouldn't work, it would slow it down to the point whre there is little action and tonnes of breaks like the NFL. Nobody wants to see that. Maybe the introduction of a 6th t.v. official who communicates when a player dives so a peno can be over rules.

On the game itself, Brazil haven't played competitively in a while and they are notoriously slow.staters. yesterday was a bad game for them and a stronger team would have destroyed them. I think Germany and Argentina are better than Brazil but they have home advantage. I think the commentators said they haven't lost a home game in twenty years.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Agreed, Brazil should be a better team than what they showed yesterday, I know they'll warm up. It may or may not be enough...home field advantage or no. The country could really use some wins, but they need to be earning them.

I've been saying the same about replays- it works in theory, but putting it in action is difficult.

Comment

I think limiting replay to a single challenge per side per game might work with a replay ref. Limit decisions to 30 seconds and it would not overly hinder the games speed, just tack on another minute of stoppage.
                          Desiderius Erasmus
                          GHAC President

Comment

Originally posted by mnemenoi View Post
                            I think limiting replay to a single challenge per side per game might work with a replay ref. Limit decisions to 30 seconds and it would not overly hinder the games speed, just tack on another minute of stoppage.
                            they try that in the NFL...you get 2 challenges, and are awarded a third only if you are successful in both your previous ones. discouraging to challenge right away. and refs only are supposed to have like 90 seconds or so to review (which isnt enforced really)...might help in soccer

Comment

Agreed, they are trying different scenarios in different leagues, but I bet there is some system that could be worked in
                              Desiderius Erasmus
                              GHAC President

Comment

Working...
                              X