Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partial tank die-off, need to repop. Need some input.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial tank die-off, need to repop. Need some input.

I have a 60g f/w with a 10g sump, 1.5g canister. Substrate is HomeDepot pea gravel 3", 1 big piece of Holey Rock, some rainbow slate, and generic slate. I HAD 2 blood parrots, 2 Electric Yellows, 2 peacocks, and 2 can't remembers (kids called them Blueberry), might be Electric blue?? NOt sure.. .. Oh, and a Pleco. Everyone was happy until something got into my tank... I wasn't sure if it was a parasite, or water. I noticed cloudy water.. tested tested test, all typical water params were normal. Ok. Medications first, no effect. Giant bag of charcoal cleaned the water up nicely, but in the process, 5 fish died.

I have 4 fish left: 1 Pleco 5", 2 blood parrots 4"?, 1 Electric Yellow, 4". My parrots are healthy again, laying eggs and trying to eat me when I put the plants back and cleaned the tank. Electric yellow is under the holey rock like he has always been. I think the Yellow is full grown now, and the parrots will grow more. BUT... My population was decimated. I'd like to add something else that will keep up with the Yellow and the Parrots. I have plans to grow the tank from 60g to 110 (only 1 more foot in length so its easy) so I'll have some more room.

I like the Dovii's, and Red Devils, Oscars too, but the Oscar will eat the Yellow eventually, I think. Any suggestions?

Oh... here's a vid of the Parrots trying to eat me. One of them left a little welt on my hand.
    http://youtu.be/kIqzbjhNXys No haters please... just looking for some advice.

Originally posted by CptCrusty1 View Post
    I like the Dovii's, and Red Devils, Oscars too, but the Oscar will eat the Yellow eventually, I think. Any suggestions?
    None of these are going to be a good idea . Especially not the the Dovii . In a tank that size you are going to need fish that are relatively peaceful and that stay on the small to medium size. I personally would probably stick with Peacocks...Haps...and Mbuna .

Comment

My Electric Yellow was extremely dominant over the other one once it recovered (I had them seperated for a while). I ended up having to remove him (credit at the LFS)... So, if I put a couple Peacocks in there as babies... won't the Electric yellow just kill them?

I saw some kissing gourami's in with blood parrots on a youtube vid... I've also seen other tetra's in with the parrots.. I've thought about getting rid of the other Yellow, keeping the parrots and coverting to a planted tetra tank...

Comment

i cant speak to the dovii, but the other two wont work. the oscar will eventually eat the lab. red devils are just nasty fish. in my exp you will end up with just one mean fish you cant put anything with ultimately. i have seen them wipe out entire tanks, even oscars 5 times their size.

i will go all over the place with suggestions.

peacocks, haps and mbunas are good suggestions from above. otherwise i have kept other semi-aggressive cichlids. firemouths, geos, convicts, jewels. silver dollars are pretty relaxed too and get along with many species. maybe tinfoil barbs or bala sharks.

the tetras are out with that yellow in the mix. if you do get rid of that one, having a school and good plant coverage it may work. larger types like congos, red blue colombians, emperors, von rios, buenos aries, etc. the gouramis may have been raised with the parrots but can work.

other faster schooling type fish too like roseline sharks and giant danios.

Comment

If I went Tetras, I'd get rid of the Yellow.

Sounds like I wouldn't be able to put Rummy Nose Tetra's, Cardinals, or Zebra Danios in with the Parrots?? If they ate a Cardinal, or something tiny like that, I wouldn't be broken hearted as they don't get big and you don't have a couple years invested in growing up your big fish. If I was losing a small tetra ever now and then, it wouldn't bother me as much as if I lost a 4 inch Peacock.

So I could put baby Peacocks, haps, or mbunas, in with a full grown Yellow with a chip on it's shoulder?

Pink Kisser Gourami's get big and can be a little aggressive too... would that work?

I've seen parrots get aggressive. I just don't want them eating the other fish, but they've always had a hard time keeping up with other fish....

Comment

in my opinion yes, the smaller tetras like cardinals, rummys, and zebras would eventually get eaten (if not right away). they are a lot faster than parrots, and the parrots do have small mouths, but will continue to grow and hunt them down. stick to something they cant swallow, and schools if you go the larger tetra route.

with a 4 inch yellow in there, they would need to be comparable size. around 3 inch or bigger and have some hideouts ready for territories. i would introduce them in a group. i have one mbuna in my 75g that isnt very welcoming, but i introduced 4 newcomers at once. that way attention is divided among quite a few instead of harassing just one. all was fine and he got tired of chasing everyone.

i have never mixed pink kissing gouramis with them. may work, may not. there is always a risk

its a chance you always take with any new fish in a tank. i actually just lost a peacock yesterday i had for about 4 years, so i know what you mean watching them grow up from juvis. was a little bummed. i thought he would be ok in my bigger tank (this peacock was pestering my geos and ripping their tails)...but within 24 hours from being moved he died. no injuries, looked fine before i left for work, then dead when i got home from work so i assume stress. two fish were chasing him a bit, but not biting, so i guess thats what did it.

Comment

I would look into geophagus. They have great colors and very peaceful.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Comment

Or other south american like severums

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X