Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help for hyposalinity treat ich and upgrade DT tank..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help for hyposalinity treat ich and upgrade DT tank..

My Sailfin tang and Yellow tang had ich past several days in my 75g tank. My yellow tang was back to normal by itself and sailfin tang still ich but the white spot was less than 2 days ago. Beside that, I want to upgrade the bigger tank 110 gallons. I want treat all the fish and tank together by hyposalinity. Now the 110g tank will coming, I don't know what is the best way to do it??? Is any help out there? idea?
    If I treat fish and tank = minimum 6 weeks
    If I treat fish only = only 4 weeks ( I don't have QT)
    I don't have live rocks, or corals. I have holy rock in the tank around 6 months and it had green stuff in there.
    I have few artificial coral
    please give me some idea, please.

I think I will hyposalinity fishes in 75g tank first to make sure no more ich then slowly raise salinity back to normal 1.025, all that project should take around 2 months, then I will move everything to new tank include water. I will reuse the sand by clean them with saltwater (may be freshwater if need it), I will keep couple cup of sand to cure the bed sand. I don't know how to keep the snail and shrimp! they will die if I don't move them before I treat the tank!
    Last edited by dhnguyen99; 05-08-2014, 02:18 PM.

Comment

May be I need lfs help to store my snails and shrimp for few months. It is not hurt them at all.
      Last edited by dhnguyen99; 05-08-2014, 02:33 PM.

Comment

The LFS is ok to keep my snails so that is good now. I can't catch my shrimp so nothing I can do, beside that, I can see how the shrimp can handle at hypo for my experiment. My fishes are happy all time during hyposalinity treatment in processing and I am still enjoy my fish tank. I wish nothing happen with my fishes at very first time I do hypo treatment. Lucky, I have RO/RI water at home so save me lot of money because it is very difficult to low salinity in DT.

Comment

wow..my fishes eat like pig. All of them happy at 1.010. I will continue low salinity down between 1.008-1.009 today. I did not see my shrimp yet, wishing it is ok. Very cheap ICH treatment, Safe, and less tress for fish, and still enjoy my fish tank.

Comment

Past 7 days, I did not see any white spot on any fishes anymore, so 5 more weeks to go to complete the treatment. Luckily, I use Octopus BH skimmer then I can lower collecting cup so It can still collect a lot of junk in the tank at 1.008 sanility. My Cheato is still grow and healthy at this point. So far so good. Bravo

Comment

Past once more week, everything was fine. The fished look healthy, I feed them twice a day and change filter sock daily to make sure nitrate does not build up. I believe my shrimp gone. I start of lazy checking ph and ammoniac and nitrite daily, but luckily the water showed perfect. Only thing I need to do now is refill fresh water everyday into the sump to maintain the saltwater at 1.008-1.009.

Comment

This is my big experience for my saltwater hobby. Never introduce any fishes into your DT right away, should stay in QT for few week to be sure or take longer times if the fish show sign ich. Snails, shrimp are same thing. They did not have ich effect but I think they can carry ich by the water on their shell so be-careful also. When your DT does not has ich then your fishes will not have ich even they are stress. Big lesson but good for future.
                Last edited by dhnguyen99; 06-01-2014, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I will be carefull with hypo salinity. Some form of ich is tolerant of lower salinity levels.
                  Before, I would tell everyone I have no room for a quarantine tank. Truth is, if you plan on having a saltwater tank with fish, plan on having a quarantine tank. Save lots of money and headache.

Comment

FYI ,75 is way to small for both tangs let alone the sailfin. The ich could be stress induced. Always make it a habit to get the fish you csn have, not the fish you want or plan on upgrading in a few months and moving them. Another thing, a very good balanced and variety filled diet for you tang goes a long way. I always add supplements and garlic to flake (what I feed usually) and cyclops. when my kole got ich, he managed to fight it off completely himself with the help of a good diet.

Comment

There are 2 group and they have 2 difference opinions.
                      - First group said ICH ALWAYS in fishes, doesn't mater you already treat them by cooper or hyposalinity. When fish weak, stress again then ICH will appear again.
                      - Second group said ICH in the fishes, but if we treat them good in our QT or DT by Hyposalinity then our DT and fishes haven't had ICH ANY MORE. Doesn't mater fishes stress or what, ICH still won't appear in fish because NO ICH in the tank.
                      @Sataly - 75g tank is OK with small yellow tang and sailfin tang at that time and my point is QT must need for new fish before introduce to DT, if not headache will come up.
                      Which group is your side it's up to you. I am on second group.
                      Garlic make fish want to eat but I heard garlic is not really good for fish, rumor again. You need research about that.
                      Last edited by dhnguyen99; 09-08-2015, 06:52 PM.

Comment

If you understand the life cycle of ich, u would know that first group is incorrect. Introduce the fish into quarantine only doesn't do anything. You need to treat the fish by using copper or tank transfer method. A healthy fish can have ich. But, a healthy fish if treated correctly can be ich free

Comment

I combined transfer method and hyposanlinity treatment at the same time and it work very good for me. Reduce to 14 days from 40 days.

Comment

Working...
                          X