Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

75 Gallon Planted / Discus Tank (1st Post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75 Gallon Planted / Discus Tank (1st Post)

So I started my planted / discus tank. I will be posting from here throughout the process and hopefully all goes well. Here is my current setup...

Setup
    2 - 18-24" MarineLand DoubleBright LED's (using as moonlights when new T5's come in)
    2 - C306 Fluval Canister Filters
    1 - Fluval LED Heater
    60 lbs of Eco-Complete
    Driftwood
    Plants (Amazon Sword, Jungle Val's, Dwarf Grass, Green Mondo)

On order
    1 - 48" T5 Light Fixture (Replacement bulbs: 6,700 & 10,000)
    1 - Fluval LED Heater
    Some random cleaning / water change supplies as well.

Fish
    Neon Tetras
    German Ram Cichlids (Going to trade out when I get ready for discus)

I'm open to any advice.

20140309_134523.jpg
    75 Gallon - Planted Discus Tank (in progress, see South American section)

Looking for rimless nano. PM me if you have something.

Watch that mondo grass. Most of it isnt fully aquatic. Everything else sounds good. Cant wait to see the progress

Comment

Looks good so far can't wait to see the finish product.

Comment

Originally posted by topout24 View Post
        Watch that mondo grass. Most of it isnt fully aquatic. Everything else sounds good. Cant wait to see the progress
        Yeah I've read both ways semi aquatic and fully aquatic but it's my least favorite so I'm not too worried just wait and see. Haha. thanks for the feedback. I'll be sure to keep posting as it goes. From what I've researched once i get the t5's I'll be set.

My only concern is the speckling on discus from substrate. I'm trying to do the brilliant blues and reds most likely and hoping the grass will keep that from happening.

Comment

Yep! Some Discus will pepper from anything black in the tank.
          The tank looks great. Thanks for sharing.
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

That looks like a great start. Will watch for updates.
            Fishes says "pook pook".

Comment

Does anyone know which kind do or dont pepper? Ive read that some do more than most. Any truth to that? Also does anyone know if the dwarf hair grass will prevent that from happening (if it covers the entire bottom?) I'm trying new things here haha.

Comment

You can ask John at Houston Aquarium Warehose. He will know.
                Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

So i've got the tank the way (I think) I want it. Plants, filters, lights and all are up and running on timers etc. I will post pics this weekend. I am having a issue with this oil forming at water level. I think this might be a cause of all the stress on the fish and plants lately with the move but wanted to check and see if anyone knew how to prevent this or clean this up. Water changes don't seem to help. Worried about this happening when I get the discus in there.

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by Cstan216 View Post
                    I am having a issue with this oil forming at water level. I think this might be a cause of all the stress on the fish and plants lately with the move but wanted to check and see if anyone knew how to prevent this or clean this up.
                    Thanks in advance!
                    Just point the inlet toward the surface or get some an air pump to make bubbles.

Comment

Yeah you just need some type of surface agitation to break that up

Comment

Yeah. I don't want bubbles. Forgot to mention that is what i've done in the past to solve this problem. My next plan is to get an eheim canister with the spray bar because the oil is only forming in the center of the tank about 18" or to replace filter media as mine are getting "older". I could cycle them in the water from the tank etc.

Any thoughts?

Comment

So i solved the problem (so far) with two fluval aqua clear hang on filters. And picked up my first 2 discus today! So far good but still acclimating. Here's the only good pic i could get so far.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Oh man that is sweet! Congrats on the new fish. Also when i see the oil film in my tank i do small water change vac it up and refill. In addition to normal wc.
                            Fishes says "pook pook".

Comment

Thank you. Been a long couple of months researching and all. Feels good to see it all coming together of course. Thanks for the feedback. I definitely do the water changes etc. Just over worried myself due to the sensitivity of these fish. Thanks again for the input. I will be posting soon with more pics and hopefully more fish to come soon too.

Comment

Working...
                              X