Need help - Cycling the tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help - Cycling the tank

I started cycling my 29 gallon biocube with shrimp. I added them four days (02/21/2014) ago and took them out last night(02/23/2014). I have sand and dead live rock in tank. I started from scratch so I do not carry any kind of parasites or other infestations. I actually started cycling the tank on 02/19/2014.

Just checked the perimeters. Do I need to do anything or just leave it alone. I am thinking I am in the beginning of the cycle.

pH - 8.0
    Ammonia - 4+
    Nitrite - 2+
    Nitrate - 5+
    Temp - 77.5' F
    Salinity - 1.024
    Michael G.

Just leave it alone for another 2 weeks or so. After that add you cuc (clean up crew) snails, hermits, shrimp etc etc. Just periodically add a small amount of food to keep the bacteria going

Comment

Thank you Andrew.
      Michael G.

Comment

Half way there! I would like to raise my salinity to 1.025. If I added fresh saltwater to the tank, would it hurt the cycle?

pH - 8.2
        Ammonia - 0
        Nitrite - 2+
        Nitrate - 0
        Temp - 77.5' F
        Salinity - 1.023
        Michael G.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Reef_Whisperer View Post
          I would like to raise my salinity to 1.025. If I added fresh saltwater to the tank, would it hurt the cycle?
          No.

I'm curious why you didn't just leave your piece of rotting shrimp in till you were cycled? Why take it out after a few days--you'd just have to add some fish food for the same effect.
          While I'm not reef ready, I am salt ernate lifestyle curious...

Comment

I was told by a trusted breeder to leave it in no more than 4 days. That should give the tank more than enough bacteria to start the cycle. By that time, my room already smelt like awful. I could not imagine leaving it in the whole time. The city of Pasadena would had to condemn my room!
            Michael G.

Comment

I haven't heard of the 4 day thing before. You really only need a little piece of a shrimp not a full one. The bacteria are not originating from the shrimp per se, the decay of the shrimp provides the ammonia source to feed the continuation of your cycle. Then again as long as you are putting in a pinch of food everyday to feed your beneficial bacteria, and it doesn't stink as much--that works as well.
              While I'm not reef ready, I am salt ernate lifestyle curious...

Comment

I started in May of this year with some live rock which really helps cycle much quicker. But still have a way to go.

Comment

Mine is finally about where it needs to be. I am glad to see you are back Michael. I came back in December.

Comment

you could of avoided the shrimp thing buy just adding live bacteria. instant cycle. think they sell it at the stores for $8.

Comment

Working...
                    X