pygmy sunfish wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pygmy sunfish wanted

Is anyone collecting or raising the pigmy sunfish. In particular the Elassoma gilbert from northern Florida. Can anyone recommend a source for obtaining this species.

Jonahs is usually the best bet on oddball natives
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Desiderius Erasmus
    GHAC President

Comment

Sachs aquaculture is a good source. I use to raise them. You ll need live foods like a colony of gammarus shrimp, microworms, daphnia, or hatching brine shrimp. Only some will eat frozen bloodworms. They are small buggers. Lazy feeders, ambush their prey, need lots of cover or dim lighting to feel secure. Erica Weissner on the NANFA org breeds them. She will sometimes put up spares from her colony on Aquabid.
      Emerald Green Rainbowfish
      Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

gonna have to agree with above statement. super lazy feeders, but really cool to have. i used to catch them out in Winnie. they had a goo population in their drainage ditches for years.
        Never fear I is here
        David Abeles
        Vice President
        Greater Houston Aquarium Club

Comment

E. Zonatum - they are nice chocolate brown tweed like pattern. I use to catch them too. No time to do that now. I've got E. evergladei and E. okefenokee. If anyone wants E. gilberti- Sachs Aquaculture has them right now. He just doesn't have listed on his site. Ask for juvenile or small fish. Gilberti live as long as annual killies in my experience. Max out 15 months. I've had evergladei and okefenokee ( brighter blue to purplish stripes, gilberti - more turquoise and blue throughout the body) live about 2 yrs (cooler water- don't use a heater). Young fish also easier to train to eat bloodworms, but gotta start with live feeds.
          Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Indeed, we usually always bag a bunch at the collection trips and any time I decide to wander and go ditch fishing. I have caught some amazing looking males, no bright colors but rich browns and chocolates. The Golden killifish are the nicest locals in color for smaller tanks.
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
            Desiderius Erasmus
            GHAC President

Comment

Gunpowder Aquatics has them, sporadically. Their site is down at the moment, but I'm pretty sure they'll be back. They've done good business for many years.
              "Why must I waste my beautiful life on the drab and inconsequential?" (James Von Beulow)

Comment

Originally posted by Melquiades.Estrada.III View Post
                Gunpowder Aquatics has them, sporadically. Their site is down at the moment, but I'm pretty sure they'll be back. They've done good business for many years.
                I posted this is 2015. I have had colonies of different species of Pygmy sunfish since then. But thanks!
                Yellow Rabbit Snails

Comment

Working...
                X