Hard Freeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Freeze

Who else has a pond on here? Doing anything special to prepare your pond for these unusually cold couple of days in Houston?

I am starting a pond and wonder how deep should it be to over winter fish in Houston.

I keep hearing conflicting info.
    Some day deeper than 4 feet while others say shallow water warm up better.

Deeper than 4 feet makes sense to me as the greater volume would take longer to cool.

I am not sure if I am going to keep cool water fish or something more tropical. Any tips? I do think natives are cool. Some sunfish are really colorful. I also have seen really pretty gar in Houston. Could I keep tropical cichlids like Midas or Mayan cichlids over winter in a pond here?

I think when the pond is settled and established I will start a new thread for stocking advice. I'm the meantime I will be looking out for interesting fish. I have lots of tanks they can grow out in the meantime. I have a 220g, 90g, 65g, couple 55g, and a few smaller tanks

Comment

My pond ( Huntsville) is about 3 ft and that is fine for Koi. But I also have a bunch of giant danios which are very difficult to catch; so I cut up Styrofoam fish boxes and cover 90% of the pond, I have put in 200 watts of heat in very cold weather. Water has gotten to below 55 F but the danios survive ( for several years) . One very large problem is that it restricts air and I have killed Koi 2 times ( not the danios). I now aerate and remove some panels at about 60F. Yellow labs do not take cold temperatures well , I lost some at about 65 F.

Comment

Working...
      X