New red severum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New red severum

Just picked this guy up and he is about 6 inches. Been in the tank for 2 days and he stays close to the bottom not swimming around much. He has also not eaten. Do I need to be concerned or is he just getting acclimated? Also what do you recommend feeding him? I feed all my other SAs NLS pellets 1mm. I think those might be too small for this guy. Any good food recommendations for the larger cichlids? Thanks!

fish can go a pretty long time without eating and still be ok. longest i had was 10 days when on vacation and didnt lose any, but they can go longer than that.

my guess is he is still acclimating. check that your chemistry is constant and nothing is out of range.

how did you introduce him? slow acclimate or just float the bag and release? i usually recommend a slower acclimation if your water chemistry is different than where you bought the fish.

severums are omniverous, so they will eat a variety of items. most eat very readily. i usually do flake, floating cichlid sticks, can mix in fresh romaine lettuce (more nutrients than iceberg), dried krill/red shrimp, also frozen treats like bloodworms, daphnia, etc.

Comment

Thanks for info. I got him along with a salvini and jewel cichlid from someone on the Houston Cichlid facebook group. The fish were in a bucket with the persons water. When I got home I added my own tank water to the bucket. I added a few cups of water every 15 minutes. I let them be in the bucket for about an hour, then I transferred.

Comment

Severum can be a little skiddish. They are slow swimmer like angels or discus and have a small mouth for a large Cichlid. Give him some time. He will come around.
        Post pictures please.
        Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

Also try flakes. It sounds dumb but most all tank raised fish will eat them.
          Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

. Would having my powerhead running make a difference? I know they like slow water but its a 125, so not like he is getting blown around. Powerhead is aiming Dow the back of ank to move waste into inlets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

He is a handsome devil!

Comment

That is one sexy severum
                150 gallon - Mississippi map turtles, chocolate cichlids, red spotted severums

40 GB - Red Shoulder severums

John 3:16

Comment

Thanks, he eats like a pig now. Better shot of the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Everything i have read says they graze the plants, but those look good. What you got goining? Anubias and java?

Comment

Working...
                    X