Moving saltwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving saltwater

So I'm closing on a house in 3 months or so, but I'm already trying to plan out my tank situation. Freshwater is easy to move so I'm not worried there, but how do you go about moving saltwater?

Since this was my first saltwater tank, I don't want to keep everything in it. A lot of it is garbage starter coral stuff that infested the tank. Most of the rock is covered in zoas, green/yellow polyps, mini feather dusters etc etc. I would like to keep the rock if possible since I know it's history and I have some nice pieces but what is a good way to get rid of the polyps that are on it? Can I just bleach and air dry for a couple weeks?

Also, I'm only going to keep a handful of my nicer coral, how long can they stay in a bucket? Or should I plan on tossing them in a random 10g with tank water/powerhead/heater/light? Same deal with fish/anemone?

They'll be upgrading tanks shortly after moving in too, right now its a 40b. Would it be alright to just set up the 40b on the floor with no sump, just heater/light/powerheads/sand with the fish/select coral for a period of time? 2-3 weeks?

Thanks

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
    So I'm closing on a house in 3 months or so, but I'm already trying to plan out my tank situation. Freshwater is easy to move so I'm not worried there, but how do you go about moving saltwater?

Since this was my first saltwater tank, I don't want to keep everything in it. A lot of it is garbage starter coral stuff that infested the tank. Most of the rock is covered in zoas, green/yellow polyps, mini feather dusters etc etc. I would like to keep the rock if possible since I know it's history and I have some nice pieces but what is a good way to get rid of the polyps that are on it? Can I just bleach and air dry for a couple weeks?

Also, I'm only going to keep a handful of my nicer coral, how long can they stay in a bucket? Or should I plan on tossing them in a random 10g with tank water/powerhead/heater/light? Same deal with fish/anemone?

They'll be upgrading tanks shortly after moving in too, right now its a 40b. Would it be alright to just set up the 40b on the floor with no sump, just heater/light/powerheads/sand with the fish/select coral for a period of time? 2-3 weeks?

Thanks
    If you want to keep the rocks and get rid of the corals that attach to them, just try to remove them manually with a scrub, a scraper, a knife. After you get rid of most, put the rocks out in the sun to further kill them off and dry. If you don't do the 1st step, the corals will die attached to the rocks and they will stink, you will have to scrub them off again, even more work.

The rocks, corals, fish you want to keep can be kept in a tub on floor with no sump for 2-3 weeks, you just need some water movement, and lights if you have corals, if you don't have lights, the corals will die . The water will eventually get polluted so prepare to make water change if you need to.

Comment

Working...
    X