Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me to build 40Gal salt water tank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Marineland maxi-jet 1200 pumps make a good in barrel circulation pump because of the way the 3 suction cup holder is built.

I would probably go with something else for circulation n the DT (display tank).
    While I'm not reef ready, I am salt ernate lifestyle curious...

Comment

For your SW mixing barrel its a good idea to use a plastic sheathed heater rather than a glass tube as they are very resistant to breakage--and it would probably get knocked around more than one just permanently stuck in your sump.

Comment

Its best to produce your RO/DI in one barrel/bucket, then add RO/DI water to your SW mixing bucket. That way you can put a float valve switch system (use 2 one a little higher than the main one for redundant safety). That gives you a constant supply of RO/DI for your top up water (and or freshwater tanks). If you elevate the RO/DI barrel up a bit you can put in a simple spigot and hose to gravity feed your SW mixing barrel.

Comment

If you use all of your SW before you mix your next batch--you can get a pretty uniform salinity each time by doing this...

Place a water level mark on the inside of the barrel about where the volume corresponds to how much SW you'd like to make for each batch. Use a measuring cup to add salt to bring it to the approximate salinity you want. Let stuff run say 3 days till its darn good and mixed. If the salinity is slightly under add a little salt, repeat till its right where you want it. If the salinity is over add a little RO/DI till the salinity is right where you want it--then make a new water level mark above the old, slightly lower one.

That way, from an empty barrel, if you add RO/DI water to the top water level mark and add the same amount of salt you will always get the same salinity. To skip the measuring cup in future, get a plastic bottle, cut the top off. Use the measuring cup to fill it with the amount of salt mix you recorded above. Then make a mark on the side of the bottle at the top of the salt. Dump the salt out of the bottle. Carefully trim the height of the bottle to the height of the salt. The next time you dip up salt in your plastic bottle bottom, and use a straight edge to make it nice and level to the edge of the bottle bottom, you have exactly enough salt to mix up your new batch of SW, at that salinity you want. It is still good practice to check salinity before adding to your tank.

Comment

it is first time drill the glass and I did it so happy. Here are some pic I did late last night . now I need to wait my DIY sump tank in the water for 2 days also I try setup 2 of 55 gal barrel for salt water mix this week and I will order some rock and sand tomorrow from Bulkreefsupply.. I need to reread all information from Bedlamer and Roshan and than put it in my note.
            IMG_0745-Optimized.jpgIMG_0747-Optimized.jpgIMG_0750-Optimized.jpgIMG_0752-Optimized.jpg

Comment

I just do the water change for one of my tank and I found 4 piece of salt water rock from my friend give me 3 or 4 months ago. It is in the tank that long too. so you think it will consider live rock ??? ( it is dry rock when I got it)

IMG_0753-Optimized.jpgIMG_0754-Optimized.jpg

Comment

You can seed base rock(dead) with few pieces of live u can do half and half,

I barely spend time on the box now , but if u are close to gessner and 59 one day u are more than welcome to see my setup and take ideas .
                125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Thank You Geral.

Comment

Check out this led for 130. 3 watt bridgelux LEDs full spectrum 90 optics. I ordered 2 of them for my 120.

Comment

Update the tank and stand. I burst the tank when I do bulkhead so I have to redo the tank and lucky I have a backup tank so this what I done so far. I need run some power strip and close the stand and stain it . I still wait my order some sand salt and.. from Ken's it will come this week or next week. IMG_0762-Optimized.jpg

Comment

For lights, contact omar (semper). He brings in reefbreeder leds. One of the180.buck fixtures is all you need for a 40b

Comment

Hungnavo. If you are ever in North Houston/ Spring Cypress and 249 area. Please stop by. I have lots of experience with running basic saltwater setups. You can see for yourself. And I also have lots of coral available for sale. And those lights Andrew mentioned are awesome. Those are what I use over my 6-7 reef setups.

Comment

Semper, wow that is awesome coral and I am sure I will stop by when I have a change in Houston. Thank you so much for invite. I Just got salt , sand and test kit, refractometer .. from Bulk reef today. I will setup the barrel mix this weekend with 3 stage RO/DI with the Dual inline TDS Monitor ( don't know how it work yet) On the 3 stage I will have 2 cartridge refill with catalytic active carbon and last stage I will have cartridge refill with DI Resin ( any idea?? please input thank you.) Also I will have GFO filter in the sump tank and I hope it will run by next one or two week before Christmas.

Comment

Yeah Omar has the best saltwater collection I've seen anywhere
                              210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
                              125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Originally posted by moganman View Post
                                Yeah Omar has the best saltwater collection I've seen anywhere
                                +1 a lot of the corals I had came from Omar

Comment

Working...
                                X