Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me to build 40Gal salt water tank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post Bedlamer... lots of good information there.

Hung... http://reefbreeders.com/value_led_fixtures.html

probably the best led light for the $ for saltwater. I suggest you get started with just FOWLR as mentioned above. Just use a T8 fixture for lighting for now. You can buy a bag of the packaged live sand at petco or petsmart, just check the expiry date. You don't necessarily need live rock... you can start with some dry rock that will become live over time. www.bulkreefsupply.com had some nice types that you can pick out and have delivered to your door. I suggest you start asap because the cycle can take up to 4-6 weeks... so no fish until then.

Comment

BTW, this is just about the best way to pumb an overflow http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx It requires an extra hole, a L cross section piece of acrylic, and some more pumbing bits--and it might cost you some time getting the extra bits together and a bit more work--but you could work on building the stand and obtaining the other gear in the meantime. The basic 2 hole method you have jigged up there will also work just fine of course.
      Last edited by Bedlamer; 11-30-2013, 07:08 PM.
      While I'm not reef ready, I am salt ernate lifestyle curious...

Comment

Bedlamer, Thank so much for explanation it is very helpful to me and this what I need to learn and need. I am so glad in the Box with huge knowledge surround.
        What is "FOWLR tank" mean??

Comment

FOWLR = Fish Only With Live Rock. Don't let the name fool you--if you start with dead rock it will become "live" once you have cycled the system, and it can include the CUC, not just fish--lol It mostly means you are relying on the rock to provide attachment sites for the biofilm of beneficial bacteria that will colonize your system, instead of using an old school SW method like canister filters to do the same thing (canisters are still dandy for fresh water!) The fish only part really implies no photo-synthetic dependent critters.

Comment

Bedlamer, That sweet overflow design. I think I will one of these for my fresh water tank. Thank and many thank..

Comment

You're welcome. I'm groovin' on that inexpensive 3 watt LED fixture that got linked above by Roshan. Best bang for the buck I've ever seen for a 3 watt LED fixture.

Comment

Do you think 60lb CaribSea Arag-Alive is good for 40 Gal tank?? what kind and brand salt I need to buy please let me know. Thank You

Comment

40 lbs sounds like a good start... I would stick with 2" or less. Any salt will do. I like Oceanic, some people swear by red sea coral pro or regular old Instant ocean or reef crystals. You need to start with RODI water if you are mixing your own saltwater

Comment

You want to keep your substrate depth to 2" or less to avoid anoxic dead spots. Best place rock, then substrate. That way if you have a fish that digs it won't undermine the rock, which could lead to the rock breaking the tank. There is a guide somewhere that correlates pounds of substrate to a given depth for a tank's foot print. I'll try to dig it up.

As to salt. Many different opinions on which is best. Reefers are more concerned about the fine details than FOWLR folks. You are intending on mixing your own right from the beginning?

You can buy salt water pre-mixed from your LFS (I have no idea what's in Beaumont--but if you consider Houston local to Beaumont I guess my statement is true--lol). Mixing your own is cheaper in the long run. You will need a source of 0 TDS (total dissolved solutes). You can buy RO/DI water from your LFS (in that case just as well to buy their pre-mix), you can buy a RO/DI unit and set it up in your house, or people have said that the water from those windmill things works just fine.

Then you will want a way to test salinity, a bucket/barrel/new trash can (Rubber Maid Brutes are great) a dedicated circulation pump and heater. Let the water circulate a couple of days before you use it. Bring the water up to the temperature of your tank before adding it after water changes. Only use RO/DI water for TOP UP water (replacing evaporative loss).

BTW once you get everything plumbed up before you add rock or substrate—just fill the tank up with tap water for a couple of days to test for leaks, and to see how the equipment is running.
                    Last edited by Bedlamer; 11-30-2013, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Again Thank you both Roshan and Bedlamer. I have a 3 stage and one on top RO/DI that I use for fresh water tank . I will buy 3 refill cartridge but I don't know media I should put in each of them. I love make my own salt water. please input more information on this part please. thank you so much.

Comment

Here is a link to a calculator http://www.aqua-calc.com/calculate/g...tangular-solid Your foot print is 36" by 18" just plug in the depth you want i.e. 1.5 inches I think would look good in a 40 B, then pick the density/substrate either sand or I guess argonite would be close to gravel in density?

Comment

Most people run their RODI to a 55 gallon or similarly sized storage container (Brute trashcans are popular). You add a heater and a powerhead and add the appropriate amount of salt and check the salinity. Adjust until correct, and then keep the pump and heater running so that you have a reservoir of water ready to go

Comment

Use the same media in your RO/DI that you are using now for freshwater.

Comment

I used 40 lbs of the same substrate in my 40 breeder, comes out to an inch and a half in most places. This is enough for my wrasse that sleeps in the sandbed

Comment

The Brutes are also good because they have a cover to keep stuff out and are opaque to prevent green algae growth.

Comment

Working...
                                X