Texas waater Hardness... Got Results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andrew_B View Post
    My tap (using test strip results) is 8.2 pH, ~250 kh, ~220 gh give or take 20 on both
    Which test strips do you use? Mine jumps from 150 - 300 in grading so it's impossible to accurately measure higher values.
    http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Hense the little ~ for an estimate. Just guessing. My readings are between the 150/300 for gh and between 180/300 for kh. And a lot of the time, its close to the higher value

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
        Which test strips do you use? Mine jumps from 150 - 300 in grading so it's impossible to accurately measure higher values.
        Hense the little ~ for an estimate. Just guessing. My readings are between the 150/300 for gh and between 180/300 for kh. And a lot of the time, its close to the higher value

Are you Both using Test Stripes not the drops?

And Andrew (Great Name by the Way!) that low value of 180Kh is actually quite high for Africans compared to the Lakes (not thta it's a bad thing as it's just a s functional at that level) And Very High for Tap water! So looks like my Guess was accurate for the CLaim of hard water. It's Carbonate/ bicarbonate Hardness that is high. Being that it will help keep water stable through times of high acidity (For those that weren't aware of that) that is a good thing.

But the conlusion for this test does show a differnce in General Hardness that is very little between our Michigan water. BUT, being that I add epsom salt to my water whcih rasies it substantially, I"m going to try and lower my Gh back down gradually...

Just want to Publically Thank SunnyHouTX for his kindness in offering to test his TX water! Very nice of you Sir.

Thanmk you too Andrew!
        Andrew C.
        My Youtube Channel
        Join the Tropheus & More community today!
        (KJV) Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23, Romans 5:8, Romans 10:9-13, John 3:16-17

Keeping:
        WC Tropheus Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Pemba, Ulwile, Mpulungu, Tanzania Murago
        WC Petro. Trews,Petro. Moshi
        WC Eretmodus "Mpulungu, Kasanga"-F1 "Bulu Point"
        WC N. Tretacephalus
        WC L. Ocellatus "Isanga", L. Multifaciatus "Mbita"- L. Brevis "Kavala"

Comment

I think my liquid test kits are old so they didn't give a perceptible color change, even at 25 drops for KH
          http://www.facebook.com/DAScolorado

Comment

Im too lazy to use my liquid kits on my freshwater tanks since *most* of the time, stable parameters is better than trying to mimic the lakes.

Also funny seeing you from Livonia. My sister lives there now and I lived in Farmington Hills from middle school through high school and college in Southfield

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyHouTX View Post
              I think my liquid test kits are old so they didn't give a perceptible color change, even at 25 drops for KH
              WOW, 25 drops? That's either like you said an old kit or those strips are Way Off. Probably the former...

Im too lazy to use my liquid kits on my freshwater tanks since *most* of the time, stable parameters is better than trying to mimic the lakes.

Also funny seeing you from Livonia. My sister lives there now and I lived in Farmington Hills from middle school through high school and college in Southfield
              Yes, I agree. Stable is best. But with High Kh, you'll be stable anyway. Sounds like good water in TX for sure.

Ah Nice. Yes, we've lived here in Livonia for just over 6 yrs now. NW of 6 Mile + Middlebelt Rd.

Born in Westland until 10 and then moved to Dearborn and lived there until recently. With some "jumping around" between ages 18-21.

Nice Area though. almost .5 acre lot and 2200 sq ft with 2 floor addition and street gets plowed in the Winter as there's an old Elementary School turned CSI lab on our street! .

Anyway, I'm trying to find an optimal Gh hardness for my tangs. I'd rather have it proper than to high or low. And being that it only consists of using Epsom salt to adjust up or down, may as well do what I can for my WC Colonies.
              Andrew C.
              My Youtube Channel
              Join the Tropheus & More community today!
              (KJV) Romans 3:23, Romans 6:23, Romans 5:8, Romans 10:9-13, John 3:16-17

Keeping:
              WC Tropheus Bulu Point, Ikola, Kasanga, Maswa, Pemba, Ulwile, Mpulungu, Tanzania Murago
              WC Petro. Trews,Petro. Moshi
              WC Eretmodus "Mpulungu, Kasanga"-F1 "Bulu Point"
              WC N. Tretacephalus
              WC L. Ocellatus "Isanga", L. Multifaciatus "Mbita"- L. Brevis "Kavala"

Comment

Working...
              X