My Planted 20H, 40 Breeder Reef, and 35 gallon Kettle pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Planted 20H, 40 Breeder Reef, and 35 gallon Kettle pond

Just wanted to share some pics! Will do my best to try and update this often

My 20H:

Equipment:
    Eheim 2213
    Maxijet 400
    Glo T5HO 2X24 watt

Livestock:
    2 x Fantail Goldfish
    6 x Platies
    1 x Black Lyretail Molly
    1 x Peppered Cory
    11 x Harlequin Rasboras
    5 x Black Neons
    2 x Female Combtail Bettas

More to follow...
    Last edited by Roshan8768; 09-07-2013, 04:14 PM.

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

4 Adult Common/Comet goldfish and 1 Baby

Comment

Goldfish ate all the duckweed from the picture above within a day of me putting it in the pond!!

Here's some pics of my reef:

The red bubble tip anemone in the pictures (top right) has only been in my tank for about 2 months, and it has already split once

Comment

Man, I really like your kettle pond. That is very well done. I set up something like this for my turtles, but had an internal filter in it. Then it rained heavily one night, and the turtles escaped.

Comment

Originally posted by tpark View Post
          Man, I really like your kettle pond. That is very well done. I set up something like this for my turtles, but had an internal filter in it. Then it rained heavily one night, and the turtles escaped.
          Thanks man! It's pretty awesome, the water lilly blooms about 10-12 times every summer and it looks pretty legit... like an actual pond, except smaller, less expensive, and less work to maintain. Did you ever find the turtles? I've seen some people keep them in larger ponds, but then again no guarantee that they won't wander off when they get bored. For me this is too small and they produce too much waste, so I'll be sticking with the fish

Comment

Nope. Never found the turtles. I think they fell out and then a bird came and swooped them up. It was kind of bittersweet though, the one turtle I had since my undergrad. It was sad losing him (mississippi map). The other two were recent additions (yellow bellied slider, and a razerback musk). My girl limited me to 3 tanks in the new place, and previously I had them in a scaped turtle tank. But there is only so much plant choice with a scaped turtle tank, so I didn't want to sacrifice one of my tanks to turtles (all that uvb heat lamp what not over the tank). So I put them outside in something similar to your kettle pond.

If you ever want to know anything on "scaping" turtle tanks, talk to me, I experimented with so many plants. Amazon swords, and java fern is about all that will survive. There is a girl online that names off a bunch of others, don't listen to her.

The girl went to bed early this last Saturday, and I scrap set up a fourth tank, for growing out trimmings...... needless to say she was not very happy.

Comment

This is what happens when you don't trim your plants for a really long time.

Comment

Tank pic for October:

Pond is starting to look pretty bare, the lillies have started going dormant and the fish are definitely more sluggish when the temps are down. They are super active all afternoon though, which is when they get fed as they bulk up for winter! I would post a pic of the planted tank, but it looks pretty crazy after I hacked it to pieces during my trim.
                Last edited by Roshan8768; 12-08-2013, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Here's a video of my planted 20H

Comment

Before trim:

After trim:

Comment

The lights on my saltwater tank went out, so I had to grab the lights on the planted tank and put them on my reef to avoid losing livestock while I found a replacement. I threw the single bulb t8 strip that came with the tank so that the fish could see. I doubt it put out much light, but it created a lot if shadows in my tank and I got some great pictures.

Comment

Today:

i think it looks better with the black background

Comment

Nice!
                          One good tank deserves another

Comment

In need of a trim

Comment

My reef with new lights!!

Comment

Working...