Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannister Filtration and Tank Oxygen

Hello,

I have a 150G understocked Discus community tank where I have installed 5 cannister filters including 4 Eheims (x1 2217 and x3 2215s) and a Fluval Fx6. The 2217 has x2 UV Sterilzers attached. I keep the tanks at 86.5F. and each Eheim sprays across the surface water on same sid of tank creating a rippling effect and the Fluval sprays toward surface also creating a rippling effect on opposite end of tank and down across mid zone toward opposite side of tank. One of my 2215s is full of ChemiPure Elite and the other three use standard Eheim media with Activited carbon bags at the top.

My questions is, with x5 cannister filters with surface agitation, does anyone believe that I need to provide an air wall? I have one in the tank that I run part time but its noisy and messy on bottom of canopy lids and would like to back away from using much if I can.

I dont have a hanfg on the back filter or a sump... just x5 cannisters... any advice is welcome...

Tautog

“Semper Procinctum”

Just the Fx6 alone should be plenty of surface agitation. The air wall increases oxygenation through the same method as the way your filters's output are pointed, surface agitation. There's no need for a bubbler. It's just for aesthetics.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Thank you Mistahoo...
      “Semper Procinctum”

Comment

Nice tank. That's a lot of filtration. You are good
        210gPetrochromis Macrognatus Green 'Nsumbu
        125g Mdoka White Lip

"Success is the willingness to fail"

Comment

Tank looks great. If you have some additional problems which I don't think you would... what about a powerhead?

Also where did you get that DW? Buy it or find it?
          Last edited by AHP; 08-28-2013, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AHP View Post
            Tank looks great. If you have some additional problems which I don't think you would... what about a powerhead?

Also where did you get that DW? Buy it or find it?
            Thank you. I got the driftwood from my friends at fish gallery. I have a couple of MaxiJet 400s laying around but I'm holding out on extra current in depth for the Discus habitat but I may be wrong about that. I'm still learning.
            “Semper Procinctum”

Comment

I've never kept discus, but I hear they don't like a lot of flow. With your filters alone, you should be plenty good on oxygenation

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 4

Comment

Nice tank, u should have more then enough oxygenation from the surface agitation.

Comment

Very nice tank, if it were me. I would take the 3 eheims 2215 off, like mistahoo said; discus dont really like too much flow.
                  175 tropheus Chaitika
                  125 tropheus Ujiji
                  90 tropheus Nkonde

Comment

Its a great looking tank.
                    +1 on the advice.
                    Nothing Kills Evil Like a Sharp Stick...

Comment

I kept two 2217s running on my discus tank for years. Employed the same method you do on the spray bars. Plenty of oxygen. I like the simplicity of the setup. Lots of swimming space.

Mark
                      What are the facts? Again and again and again--what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore devine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell", avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history"--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your only clue.

Robert Anson Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                      X