75g reef build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75g reef build

So I had a extra 75g laying around and I decided to set it up. It's unfortunately is not reef ready but decided to continue as I have seen and read a lot if successful reefers with just canister or hob filters. I do still have the full intentions of upgrading to a 150g+ tank (210g is goal) and will for sure make it is reef ready with overflow, sump, and etc.

For about two weeks, I had a temporary setup with a 40B with just the live rock, 40lbs live sand, and a powerhead to have the water flowing. It has all been transferred this weekend to the 75g.

Filtration, I am running a seeded eheim 2217 that has been running on my friend matured tank for about a week plus. I will also be running a protein skimmer that is rated for 65. Total volume of water is 60g and plus I figure it wouldn't hurt as I got it for basically free.

Substrate, I am using Caribbean sea live sand 120lbs, have a nice 3"+ sand bed! My food friend also gave me about 2 cups of his live sand. There is also about 50lbs of live rock. Will collect more slowly as I see them for sale.

Powerheads, I'm running evo koralia 850ghp and 1500ghp (1500 has not come in yet) turn over rate is about 30x. Will be ordering the hydor smart wave controller soon.

%100 RO water. Will pick up a RO/DI unit soon though.

Lighting, I temporarily have one 48" T8 antinic and the finnex led dual 7k from my planted tank but I finally decided that I'm going to go with the reef breeder photon 32. Really like the features it comes with it and I have done some research and it produces some good PAR. Will be purchasing in the near future.

Here is the first pic of it. Its my night stand

Lots more to come! Any comments or advice is appreciated as this is my first reef tank again! Thank you

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by wesleh; 08-05-2013, 12:03 AM.

good start !!!! are you going reef of FOWLR ?
    125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Thank you! It will be reef.

Comment

I have some brown that is now starting to turn into green hair algae on the rocks. Also having this orange algae that is on the rocks and on the sand as well. Added a cleaning crew that consist of few trochus snails and red legged hermit carbs.

Comment

If u went to the brown and now the green
          Algea that mean is cycling fast! With the filter seeded, update pics?
          125 gal-P. Kachase,simochromis, vampire pleco,bn pleco,bulldog pleco

55 gal- Ilangis ,clown pleco,abn pleco,rubber lip pleco

55 gal-Canary cheek,Ikola,duboisi, and fry

10 gal -fry tank,snails

Comment

Here are a few update photos

Whole tank. My pile of rubble. Well rescape when I get some more rock.

Snails haven't moved a bit

Green hair algae

More algae. The carbs are really going at it!

The orange algae is turning brown now.

Carb making a cleaning trail

Last edited by wesleh; 08-13-2013, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Are you replying on just the crabs to clean the algae?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy97 View Post
                Are you replying on just the crabs to clean the algae?
                If you read the previous post, there's also snails.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Looks like just diatoms to me, should go away with time

Comment

Definitely diatoms, just the cycle doin its thing. It'll go away, I'm sure you're going to experience a gha outbreak too. Don't stress it'll go away too, usually lol. Good luck, off to a nice start.
                    20g mixed reef

Comment

Update! So finally got more live rock and finally got my scape down, I might rearrange a few rocks here and there. Ordered the photon 48 and should be here in another two weeks or so hopefully! Got a 20g quarantine setup so I will probably get my first fish in another week or two.

Comment

Just got my reef breeder photon 48 in! This thing is a beast. Only at %30 on both ch. in the pictures.

Also when I purchased more live rock I had a xenia coral come with it and for the last 3 weeks it was able to survive under a single t8 atinitic bulb.

Comment

That reef breeder looks awesome. I have their page book marked for my wish list but it will be a while.

What happen to the 2217 and what are you running in the Aquaclears? Also, how are you planning on running the skimmer?

200 - African cichlids
                          72 - Salty Bow Front
                          33 Cube - community
                          10's - Freshwater Shrimp

Comment

Originally posted by BrAin View Post
                            That reef breeder looks awesome. I have their page book marked for my wish list but it will be a while.

What happen to the 2217 and what are you running in the Aquaclears? Also, how are you planning on running the skimmer?
                            Thanks! I decided to go with a ac110 instead for easier maintenance. Right now it has only the original media in it which is the sponge, activated carbon, and the bio rings. I do plan on running a skimmer. Going to set it up sometime today or tomorrow.

Comment

100% it's way less purple then it really is on the photo.

Comment

Working...
                              X