No announcement yet.

My first planted tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one of these days... the police will raid our meeting for having illegal plants
    this...
    Last edited by suicune; 07-23-2013, 03:06 PM.
    I have the patience of a goldfish....

Comment

Originally posted by suicune View Post
      one of these days... the police will raid our meeting for having illegal plants
      this...
      http://www.ntwgs.org/articles/illega...tml#the%20list
      LOL... Giant duckweed. Now that's the stuff nightmares are made of.

Sent from my iPhone by one of my fish
      All bleeding stops eventually...

Comment

As an update the RCS and nerites have been added and seem to be doing fairly well. One of the nerites is not very mobile at all. Today though before I left for work I noticed one small white worm on the glass. I am assuming it is a Detritus worm or common planaria, but dont know where it would have come from really.

Could these come in on plants? I know these are generally harmless, but could they be any threat to the shrimp/nerites? Or be a sign of something bigger that is off?

I havent gotten to test the water, but i only throw in a few shrimp pellets every other day. The RCS mainly stay on the plants and wood anyway.

Comment

If they are planaria then they are a threat to the shrimp.

Comment

Originally posted by Chester View Post
            If they are planaria then they are a threat to the shrimp.
            Is there a way to tell?
            What do they do to the shrimp?
            Is there a recommended medication that is shrimp/snail safe?

Like i said there really are no characteristics i can use to describe it other than "a small white worm". i was rushing around and didnt get to take it out of the tank, so i dont know if i will find it again
            Last edited by morpheus; 08-01-2013, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I was told to not feed the shrimp at all, just have a planted tank and let the shrimps grow and feed off the plants

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus View Post
                Is there a way to tell?
                What do they do to the shrimp?
                Is there a recommended medication that is shrimp/snail safe?

Like i said there really are no characteristics i can use to describe it other than "a small white worm". i was rushing around and didnt get to take it out of the tank, so i dont know if i will find it again
                I forgot the name of the medication but petco sells it I think. Rule of thumb, if it's safe for shrimp, most likely it'll be safe for snails. They're both inverts.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Originally posted by suicune View Post
                  I was told to not feed the shrimp at all, just have a planted tank and let the shrimps grow and feed off the plants
                  You don't have to, but if you do, it's best to stick to a routine and keep up with it. Shrimps don't feed on the live plants. Only decaying plants. They mainly feast on microorganisms that the plants host along with detritus and algae

Comment

Maybe just a plant/shrimp tank amateur move on my part. The shrimp do seem to be eating off the melting leaves or whatever else is available on the leaves, glass, gravel, etc.

Definitely will vac out the leftovers

Comment

I learned to keep my hands off the tank and maybe just top off when needed

Comment

That will probably be the route i go now

Comment

I just let them do their thing. Less $$ spent and less hassle.

Comment

It doesn't hurt to supplement the shrimp food every once in awhile, but over feeding will definitely help out the planaria. We had them pretty bad for awhile when the ebi was a pea puffer tank. They can be a pain. :(

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
                            "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

My airpump is coming tomorrow, one day early which is good... I will have some free time to set things up before the crazy weeks start later. And my red root floaters are starving of iron :(

Comment

Wow the tank looks great I need to get some more plants for my tanks they all seem so empty lol I only have like six different plants

Comment

Working...
                                X