Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project - 2 gallon shrimp tank

photo(7).jpg

I have the patient of a goldfish. As I said that I will start up a shrimp tank to have some live food treat for my other fish and a possible (VERY POSSIBLE) future pea puffer (or 2 or 3). Since I have a 2 gallon sitting around and space, I said to myself why not? As I remove my moss carpet from the my big tank, I feel kinda wasteful if I throw everything away. So I cut 2 pieces away to make a carpet and a wall for this little tank. Hopefully the light is strong enough to sustain these things. The carpet and wall will grow out in 5-6 weeks cuz I'm gonna dose the hell out of this little dude. Then get ready for some nice small colony of shrimp. =d

Current plant: Java moss, anubias, duck weed, asian water moss.
    Last edited by suicune; 07-21-2013, 07:08 PM.
    I have the patience of a goldfish....

Cool! Glad you got it set up...love thse little shrimp picos! What kind of light do you have on it?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

It's an LED fixture. sasha, let me know when you want to meet, i'll bring the betta over to you.

Comment

Cool, we keep kicking around the idea of different LEDs and how they'd do on our nanos...

Whenever works for you, really- text me and I can meet you or whatever!
        "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

I bought the cheapest fixture i could find.. Since my plants are low lights and duck weeds are just weed. I put an old piece of media in there to spread the germ. I would love to learn more about your experience with the shrimp. I actually have 2 betta in the tank with a divider so if i give you one i can just put the puffer in on one side haha. But he'll have to wait till i get the shrimp going well

Comment

Lol, okay! I just Pm'd you...we totally need to hang out again and we can talk shrimp and bettas. Just let me know!

Comment

how many shrimp can that 2 gallon hold at most? Do I need gravel? as I'm just doing a java moss pad right now. I'm thinking about growing them out then spread them around the other tanks since they're all planted I hope some will survive while other will become an occasional food source for the bigger fish.

Comment

"At most" is debateable...RCS vs other shrimp is a hugely different story, but I would start off heavy-ish with RCS, considering it's for the purpose of breeding/spreading to another tanks...maybe a dozen or so to begin, see how fast they breed...really, shrimp have such a light bioload, it's mostly dependent on how much plant density you have IMO. 20+ RCS would be fine in a 2g, given good plants and clean water.

Comment

And gravel? No. But some sort of substrate is good, to hold bacteria. I think it helps keep picos stable. Sand or whatever works just as well.

Comment

well.. I might have to find some substrate somewhere I'm not gonna mess with sand for now. I thought since the moss doesnt root I didn't want any substrate.. but I guess I should

Comment

Meh. Always just a personal choice... I bet once the carpet gets going, it'll be just as good as substrate. You do what you like, the RCS will be fine, trust me!

Comment

oh no I'd like to do my best .. I read that ppl get 100-200 off spring in their nano shrimp tank every month.. that's crazy.

Comment

photo(9).jpgphoto(8).jpgphoto(10).jpgphoto(11).jpg

There he is.. kinda grumpy that I woke him up for the pictures. Believe it or not.. I thought he was a plakat betta when I brought him home. Black/dark violet color.

Comment

Oh wow! He's so pretty!! Awesome. Somebody is going to love him...

And yes, the RCS breeding can get kinda crazy. Aquatic cockroaches, I tell ya!

Comment

Originally posted by suicune View Post
                              oh no I'd like to do my best .. I read that ppl get 100-200 off spring in their nano shrimp tank every month.. that's crazy.
                              True. Though they probably have about 20 females berried. Usually my neos will give me shrimplets every month, but only about 5-10 per female. The rest of the eggs seem to not make it, but I'll take 5-10 any day. My big momma drops about 20 shrimplets each time, but again, for some reason only about 5-10 make it to juvie size. No clue why. The hatchery has tons of moss and hair algae. Filter is a sponge filter and they're the only ones in there.

Sent from my spaceship using Tapatalk 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X