No announcement yet.

Fahaka freaking out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lids that don't fit can be a pain, but at least you know he's not going to throw himself out, right? An imperfect solution is better than none.
    As far as slamming into the glass, are you sure he's not just hunting the other fish maybe??
    What are your exact parameters? And do you have a pic of the puffer and tank?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

pugger.jpg
      Could use a dash of salt......

120 gallon Fahaka, Gar, Catfish, 2 dwarf graumi, 2 cichlid

30 gallon salt

10 gallon baby cichlid

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Davis View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]20761[/ATTACH]
        Honestly, the lids don't look like they overhang at all!
        Got an API master test kit? Well worth the money...

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
        "I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability." -Oscar Wilde

Comment

they over hang in the middle. Ill take a pic of it tonight

30 gallon salt

10 gallon baby cichlid

Comment

30 gallon salt

10 gallon baby cichlid

Comment

Oh, I see.

And his color looks good here, obviously it's a little blurry, but he's bright and not splotchy, and looks active!
              For comparison, I just shot this-

Suki is flushed way more than that, most of the time....true drama queen. Right now, she's irritated because it's feeding day, and I haven't fed her yet.
              She also shoots across the tank sometimes, and rams at the glass. She's hunting the other fish, or sees a reflection. She's also taken to biting at the intake strainer of the 2262 lately...maybe she thinks there are fish hiding in there, or something. They are predators, that's pretty normal behavior, IMO.

But definitely get a good test kit, if you don't have one. I wish you were closer, I'd let you borrow mine.
              Again, it's an investment in their long term health, and the only way you can rule out high nitrates or pH swing as an issue. Drop kits are way better than strips- get a good one!

Comment

Just saw the vid- yup, he looks good! Again, a little overfed IMHO...lol. He's a bit chunky, but nothing cutting back feeding a little won't fix. Good colors, tank looks good. I'd definitely test to rule out all that, and if that looks good, it's just puffers being silly probably!

Comment

Ya i just worry about Koopa. Ya im using test strips. Aside from PH i have drops for it.
                  Where should he be.
                  My nitrates got up to 60 ppm for a short time. I did water changes right then.
                  Problem is i use tap water.
                  The water out in katy (harris county) is not fantastic.
                  About 100 gallons through my RODI and the filters are toast.
                  I use it for my saltwater tank only.

30 gallon salt

10 gallon baby cichlid

Comment

We use tap too- that shouldn't be a problem. pH at your tap should be fine for him, as long as it doesn't swing...
                    Ammonia should be 0
                    Nitrite 0
                    Nitrate should be under 30ppm or so.

Well, strips are better than nothing for now, what are your nitrates at today?

Comment

ill have to check when i get home.

30 gallon salt

10 gallon baby cichlid

Comment

My fahaka used to get angry and do the same type of stuff whenever I'd move anything around in the tank during cleaning. He was just a grumpy guy in general, but very much loved He also would make lots of noise at the surface if he didn't like something, like the cat walking by...sometimes he'd even splash enough to soak the poor cat. He never got spooked enough to puff though. Sure maybe it is the parameters, or maybe its just moodiness. Also, glass tops aren't the only option. You can DIY one very inexpensively from a hardware store like Home Depot using plexiglass or a screen version like with reptile tanks. Good luck with your little buddy!

Comment

Working...
                        X